South-East History Boards
August 17, 2017, 04:34:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Europe - in or out?  (Read 5317 times)
Pete
Valued Contributor

We Wunt Be Druv

« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2017, 16:20:34 PM »

It will be interesting to see how our many of our honest & upright British manufacturers blame Brexit as a reason to jump prices. I saw that Marmite had gone up due to the weak pound, given it is made from brewery/distillery waste I doubt much is imported.

Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th
Monkton Malc
Valued Contributor

« Reply #211 on: March 30, 2017, 17:32:26 PM »

I am going to have to put my prices up, not because of brexit, but because I have just bought a new car with a much bigger engine and I am going to enjoy the open roads now that jolly old "drives on the right" won't bother to come over here.

Oh, hang on a minute, I don't actually make or do anything so I can't put my prices up.

I haven't thought this through really..  Grin

Craggs

« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2017, 19:22:40 PM »

But even if the British people finally come to realise that they will lose more than they gain by leaving the EU..... .

Again.... this is my personal opinion.........  I am very happy to lose more than I gain by leaving the EU. ....... ..  I don't want to be part of the EU.... ........  .. I have never wanted to be part of the EU.    

This may be an opinion that appears somewhat insane to some Forum members or guest readers but this is how I have felt for many, many years ........ certainly since I was old enough to vote................  I really do not wish to be part of the EU.  ---  I never have and I never will.
MichaelBully
Valued Contributor

« Reply #213 on: March 30, 2017, 22:10:03 PM »

I didn't comment when the Referendum was on as I was a polling clerk and should be impartial.

As there is little chance of a second referendum I can divulge. I voted in favour of Brexit, and locally know only two other people who were in favour in this area . Where I live and work, on social media ,I am  surrounded by Remain campaigners. Learning how I am too old , uneducated and stupid to  have voted, how racist I am, a little Englander etc. etc. For a while had people refusing to speak to me at work when they find out that I voted for 'Brexit'.

A close friend of mine voted 'Remain' in a very Brexit area and got the same sort of nonsense, accused of being 'pro-establishment' , must 'hate Britain'  etc. etc.

I think that it will take a while for people to grasp the fact that many people on both sides voted for what they thought was best for the country. And it's silly to try and stereotype a while swathe of the voting population .

Personally I love many elements of  European culture, and have tried hard to teach myself Dutch for years, which is also a basis for understanding Flemish. But I think that the EU turned into a bit of a monster with crucial decisions being made too far away from Britain . I accept that there are tough times ahead and that I will have to pay more when I go to visit The Netherlands and Belgium in the future. But I think that's a price worth paying.
pomme homme
Valued Contributor

« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2017, 13:52:53 PM »

Well, let's see how things stand on June 9th!
John Chiltz
Prolific Contributor

« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2017, 14:30:30 PM »

PLEASE PLEASE........is it possible to have a rule that we don't post about June 8th???

Photographers never die - they just go out of focus!
Man of Kent1
Valued Contributor

« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2017, 16:59:40 PM »

Seconded, John Chiltz!
I'm already engaged in a, so far friendly, 'exchange of views' on another, more volatile site about the forthcoming election, with people (but not me) telling each other which way they should vote.  Much discussion centres at present on our local MP, whom I have known personally for over 30 years and about whom I refrain from commenting!
One site is enough!
pomme homme
Valued Contributor

« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2017, 17:24:19 PM »

But gentlemen, I've obliged you. As you'll see, I avoided the 8th and posted regarding the 9th!

Well, let's see how things stand on June 9th!

PH Wink
Craggs

« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2017, 17:40:40 PM »

I'll Second, John Chiltz also, if I am allowed .......  if not -  I'll 'Third' your proposal

I will not post..........  Noel
Tim of Aclea
Valued Contributor

« Reply #219 on: May 01, 2017, 15:54:30 PM »

I could not see a heading for Political History and so I thought I would mention under this one that 20 years ago today was held the 1997 General Election that Swept Tony Blair to power with labour gaining 145 Seats and the Tories losing 178 seats.  Even such true blue seats as Hove went Labour and one could walk from Lands End to John O'Groats and only have to transverse one Conservative constituency.  How times have changed.

Tim
PNK
Prolific Contributor

« Reply #220 on: May 01, 2017, 16:29:52 PM »

Is Jo Grimond still the leader of the Liberal Party? I'm a bit out of touch regarding politics Smiley

Historically there have been a lot of swings like that and it will continue to do so. Democracy is a fickle thing. We all want it, and rightly so, but it does hamper progress, partly due to the confrontational nature of Parliament. If only the opposition was allowed to agree with governments publicly and not just in times of crisis (war/terror).

The other problem is local MPs/Councillors. If your local candidate for your party of choice is a total idiot, why on earth would you want to vote him in? Also if that candidate is not your chosen party but supports all the local issues that worry you, why would you not vote against your chosen party? Local issues are just as important as National ones as they tend to affect you more.

MichaelBully
Valued Contributor

« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2017, 18:49:04 PM »

I am going to be a polling clerk on 8th June so not trying to influence how anyone should vote : But merely as a point of information - Hove  went against national trends by electing Peter Kyle as a Labour MP in May 2015.

I could not see a heading for Political History and so I thought I would mention under this one that 20 years ago today was held the 1997 General Election that Swept Tony Blair to power with labour gaining 145 Seats and the Tories losing 178 seats.  Even such true blue seats as Hove went Labour and one could walk from Lands End to John O'Groats and only have to transverse one Conservative constituency.  How times have changed.

Tim

Tim of Aclea
Valued Contributor

« Reply #222 on: May 03, 2017, 11:07:36 AM »

'Is Jo Grimond still the leader of the Liberal Party? I'm a bit out of touch regarding politics'

Steve Radford is the leader of the Liberal Party, they do not have any MPs, MEPs or members of the Scottish parliament or Welsh assembly.

!997 was the largest swing from Conservative to Labour since 1945 and the largest in my lifetime.

Tim

pomme homme
Valued Contributor

« Reply #223 on: May 03, 2017, 12:37:48 PM »

It appears that PNK is so out of touch regarding politics that he appears unaware that the original Liberal Party merged with the Social Democratic Party in 1988 to form the Liberal Democrats! The current Liberal Party was formed in 1989 by members of the original Liberal Party who were opposed to the merger of the original Liberal Party with the Social Democratic Party. It is that Liberal Party to which Tim refers when he says that it is led by Steve Radford. Its political representation comprises only a small number local government council seats, none of which are in the south-east.
PNK
Prolific Contributor

« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2017, 19:42:42 PM »

I was joking about the current leader of the Liberal Party and I am well aware of the homogenisation of British Politics over the last two or three decades.

Curiously I did find it funny to note that the Whig Party is trying to gain members as that sort of scuppered my next flippant comment!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17
  Print  

Jump to: