South-East History Boards
June 23, 2017, 06:24:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Europe - in or out?  (Read 4898 times)
Craggs

« Reply #225 on: June 08, 2017, 18:53:55 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The result of the General Election will become apparent in the next 12 hours or so , or thereabouts.

If you wish to post something then please follow the rules of the Forum Guidelines

Try to stay on topic..
Show respect to other members, and to the subject matter..
No animated or distracting avatars, signatures or banners..
Be nice!

Some of us will be happy, some of us will be sad.  Please remember that this is NOT a political forum.  It is a History Forum.  Today and tomorrow will be another day in our great Country's history whatever the result......... so.......

..........  if you wish to say something  ............  BE RESPECTFUL, and do not use any words or comments which are anything other than POLITE  - no matter how you feel.

On a personal note - I absolutely detest the TV - but tonight I will be staying up, as much as I can, to watch the results.

Noel

Tim of Aclea
Valued Contributor

« Reply #226 on: June 09, 2017, 07:12:17 AM »

Well what a shock result, I am still recovering.  Discussing the likely outcome with my eldest son before the exit poll he thought a 90 Tory majority while I was more conservative going for 50.  Still I guess we can console ourselves that we are no worse than the professional pundits. 

If May wanted a thumping majority to get the best possible Brexit deal for Britain, what sort of Brexit deal will she get now?

Tim
John Chiltz
Prolific Contributor

« Reply #227 on: June 09, 2017, 08:51:50 AM »

I hear that Canterbury voted Labour first time in 100 years - - story goes that all the pubs and bars in Canterbury banned all students yesterday!!! Grin

Photographers never die - they just go out of focus!
pomme homme
Valued Contributor

« Reply #228 on: June 09, 2017, 09:06:33 AM »

I find the outcome neither shocking nor surprising. Indeed for some time prior to today I'd held the view that a hung parliament was a highly probable outcome. I also held the view - which still I hold - that it is likely that the UK will be back at the polls by autumn of this year. But we must wait to see.

Whilst I can understand the view that you express, Tim, concerning the negotiations over Britain's withdrawal from the EU, one could argue that the outcome of the General Election will force whatever government takes office to be more realistic in those negotiations, not to engage in 'megaphone diplomacy' and eventually to agree terms that leave Britain in a closer relationship with the EU than Mrs May's prior posturing suggested might be. However, that depends on:

- whether the Conservatives successfully form a minority government
- who leads that minority government
- whether, within parliament, the tail wags the Conservative dog

The EU must know that the outcome of the General Election has not strengthened the UK's negotiating position. If it also ameliorates some of the excesses of that, this must be a good thing. I do believe that if the UK 'plays fair' with the EU, the EU will reciprocate and the outcome of the negotiations can be beneficial to both sides. However one cannot ignore the possibility that the UK unrealistically continues to think that it can dictate to the EU and have 'brexit' on its terms alone. Thus the possibility of a 'hard brexit' - and the damaging economic consequences of that for the UK - has not, I fear, receded entirely!
Craggs

« Reply #229 on: June 09, 2017, 14:43:54 PM »

I must admit that I was a bit disappointed.  I did turn on the TV and I managed to stay awake all night.  That is the most TV that I have watched in many many years.

As I type this I feel very tired and wish that I had not stayed up - however, seeing the democratic process unravel itself was very interesting.  It was also very interesting to jump between the channels and see who was producing the best coverage - I ended up sticking with the BBC.

My biggest "well done" must go to all of the individuals who volunteer to be part of the Returning Officers' teams and I think that one of our own Forum members played a part as a 'polling clerk'  .......

............  MichaelBully --  how are you feeling ?  You must be very tired.  Well done to you and all those who managed to make this historic day happen.  

NC

Monkton Malc
Valued Contributor

« Reply #230 on: June 09, 2017, 16:12:19 PM »

I was surprised to see that our MP for Thanet South was returned, despite facing fraud charges. If he is cleared of that then he can go on to get his moat cleaned I'm sure.

If not then we will have to go and vote again. I wonder if that would be the time that Nigel returns to "front line politics".  Smiley
Tim of Aclea
Valued Contributor

« Reply #231 on: June 09, 2017, 16:48:08 PM »

Pomme Homme

If you thought that a hung parliament was a likely outcome then I hope that you bet some money on it as the bookies and pundits did not see it that way and you would have made quite a tidy sum.

regards

Tim
pomme homme
Valued Contributor

« Reply #232 on: June 09, 2017, 17:28:57 PM »

I don't bet, Tim. Didn't someone once say that gambling only pays when you're winning! To my mind it's a habit all too easy to acquire and often difficult to kick. I prefer to steer clear of it. I may have got it right this time but frequently I get it wrong. I neither like losing money nor do I have enough of it not to care.

MichaelBully
Valued Contributor

« Reply #233 on: June 13, 2017, 23:23:39 PM »

Thanks for asking Noel.
Yes was quite a long day on Thursday !

The polling station I was at in Hove had a reasonable turnout and from a polling clerk point of view I just want people to attend and to vote.

Or if they know that they might not get to their polling station on the day, then register for a postal vote in advance. If forget to post postal vote, take it to their nearest polling station on election day as should be accepted if in the same constituency.

If move house, remember to tell their local Electoral Services their new address.

............  MichaelBully --  how are you feeling ?  You must be very tired.  Well done to you and all those who managed to make this historic day happen.  

NC

chuffer
Contributor

« Reply #234 on: June 14, 2017, 09:42:09 AM »

For the first time in all of my many years I am angry/frustrated and full of despair at how this country is being run.  The real pity of it was, as I saw it, we had little choice as to who to choose to make it better.

When I voted the choice was between May who was weak as Home Secretary and couldn't make a decent decision the whole time she was there.  Corbyn who sidles up to all sorts of terrorists and tells people showers of money will be falling like blossom in Springtime if he got in, Farron who looked more like a schoolboy every time he came on camera to explain he wanted another referendum......any referendum.....doesn't matter what for as long as it's a referendum because he likes them.  Nuttall's UKIP had done it's job and in any case the only person worth listening to got fed up with all the many chancers who wanted to tag along on the crest of a Farage wave, so left to go sit in a pub.

Please, please can May at least stay for a couple of years until Brexit is achieved as god forbid the tousle headed buffoon should get to be in charge if she goes off in a huff

Now folks we are at the mercy of the DUP as we face dealing with the EU with one hand tied behind our backs.

I cannot get any more angry, unless England lose to Pakistan in the cricket today, didn't matter about the football last night because France were clearly better than England even though the nice referee tried to even it up by making France play with less men.
pomme homme
Valued Contributor

« Reply #235 on: June 14, 2017, 09:50:24 AM »

This might amuse some of you .....

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
DUP.jpg
Monkton Malc
Valued Contributor

« Reply #236 on: June 14, 2017, 14:07:28 PM »

This might amuse some of you .....

This one amused me more, especially as he got voted back in!!

It's a shame that I am not as mobile as I used to be as I felt that I could have been much more creative than this..

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
crookmackinley.jpg
pomme homme
Valued Contributor

« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2017, 15:31:03 PM »

Said Les Lewis, 63, a retired market trader and Labour voter: “You could put up an orangutan in this constituency and the Tories would still get in”. But watch what happens at Westminster Magistrates Court on 4 July. It can't be beyond the bounds of possibility that Thanet South might see the first by-election of the present parliament. In that event, I wonder if Mackinlay's replacement, as the Conservative candidate, will be O.R. Angutan!
Man of Kent1
Valued Contributor

« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2017, 23:17:55 PM »

chuffer - Tim Farron resigned as Lib-Dem leader today, apparently on religious grounds!
chuffer
Contributor

« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2017, 23:48:55 PM »

What's really spoilt my day is England losing at the cricket.  I was going to sulk, until Farron threw his rattle out of the pram.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
  Print  

Jump to: