South-East History Boards
June 26, 2017, 14:49:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hailsham WW2 Roll of Honour Pt 5  (Read 4035 times)
Icare9
Valued Contributor

« on: May 20, 2016, 19:20:11 PM »

SEA-MAYS, Henry Thomas. Second Officer, Merchant Navy, S.S. “Empire Moat”.
Married and living in Hailsham, Sussex. Died 21 September 1941. Age 65.
Commemorated on TOWER HILL MEMORIAL, Panel 44.
MAYS, HARRY THOMAS. Rank: Second Officer. Date of Death: 21/09/1941. Age: 65.
Regiment/Service: Merchant Navy S.S. Empire Moat (Greenock)
Panel Reference: Panel 44. Memorial: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

At 23.31 hours on 20 Sep 1941, U-124 fired three torpedoes in two minute intervals at the convoy OG-74 north-northeast of the Azores and heard one detonation, then a tanker was observed being hit (there was a burst cloud). Another ship was hit and sank immediately after a heavy explosion. Mohr claimed two ships with 15,000 gross registered tons sunk and another with 8,000 GRT damaged. In fact, the Baltallinn and the Empire Moat were hit and sunk.

The master, 28 crew members and three gunners from the Empire Moat (Master James Fawcett Travis) were picked up by the British rescue ship Walmer Castle (Master Gerald Lewis Clarke). On 21 September, five crew members were lost when the rescue ship was bombed and sunk northeast of the Azores in 47°16N/22°25W by a German Fw 200 aircraft of I./KG 40. The remaining men from the Empire Moat were picked up by HMS Marigold (K87) (Lt W.S. Macdonald) and HMS Deptford (L53) (Lt Cdr H.R. White) and landed at Gibraltar on 28 September.

Harry Thomas Mays, Second Officer, British Merchant Navy. Born 1876. He survived the sinking of Empire Moat, but was lost when the rescue ship Walmer Castle was bombed and sunk on 21 Sep, 1941.

[NOTE: Hailsham Roll of Honour, the War Memorial and Hailsham Historical Society all record his Name as Sea-Mays, yet CWGC had the Family Verification Form showing him as “Mays”. I don’t know where the local information came from.
An explanation might be from this internet exchange:

I am researching my grandfather, Henry Thomas Sea MAYS.He was born at 17 Merton Road in Kensington, Middlesex on 25 Dec 1875. His parents were Robert MAYS, a butler, and Margaret SEA. His ship was torpedoed in the Mediterranean, killing him in September 1941, age 65. He married my grandmother, Elizabeth Mary BLACKMAN FRIEND and lived in Sussex. To our knowledge it was his first (and late!) marriage. My Uncle Harry (June 1921-2000) and father, Lewis Frederick (25 Sept 1925-25 April 2001) grew up in Hailsham, Sussex. My father emigrated to New York in 1959.
The Will of my Grandfather probated in Lewes, Sussex in 1941, in which he left specific assets (specific bank accounts and a specific house rather than "all my worldy goods or similar accounting) to "Elizabeth Mary FRIEND, Spinster", and should she predecease him, "to his sons, Harry MAYS and Lewis Frederick MAYS". As my Grandparents were together for twenty plus years before his death, I'd wondered whether the reason they had never married was because he already was. a marriage certificate for a Harry Thomas MAYS (Grandpa also went by Harry Thomas). He married Emeline Marie BERRY, 1 May 1899, at Church of Holy Innocents, Parish of South Norwood, (Croydon Registration District) Surrey.]

SKINNER, Albert Jack. Leading Aircraftman, 1389009,
Royal Air Force, Initial Training Wing. Died 16 February 1942. Age 24.
Son of Albert and Mabel Skinner of Hailsham, Sussex. Married Constance Waite of Southampton, Hampshire.
Buried in SOUTHAMPTON (HOLLYBROOK) CEMETERY, Hampshire. Section K, Row 10, Grave 205.

STAPLEY, William Frank George. Sergeant, 1902127,
Docks Operating Company, Royal Engineers. Died 20 July 1943. Age 26.
Son of William and Maud Stapley of Hailsham, Sussex.
Buried in SYRACUSE WAR CEMETERY, Sicily. Plot I. Row F. Grave 12.

STONESTREET, Frederick William. Corporal 874587, 2nd Battalion, Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).
Died 21 April 1945. Aged 23. Son of Vincent and Lucy Eleanor Stonestreet, of Hailsham, Sussex.
Buried in BECKLINGEN WAR CEMETERY, Niedersachsen, Germany. Plot 18. Row C. Grave 10.

WAKEHAM, Norman John. Flying Officer (Navigator) 160593.
166 Squadron, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Died 28 May 1944. Aged 23.
Son of John and Grace Wakeham; husband of Jean Iris Wakeham, of Hailsham, Sussex.
Buried in REICHSWALD FOREST WAR CEMETERY, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany. Plot 21. Row C. Collective grave 5-8.

Lancaster B Mk III coded AS@N. Took off from Elvington 23:50 against Aachen. Shot down by a nightfighter and crashed at Stahe, on the border between Holland and Germany, killing all 7 crew. It fell across the road from Gellenkirchen to Gangelt. Initially all buried locally in Stahe Cemetery, Germany and since reinterred at Reichswald. It was one of 3 bombers lost by 166 Squadron that night, out of 13 lost attacking Aachen.
WAKEHAM, NORMAN JOHN. Rank: Flying Officer. Trade: Navigator. Service No: 160593.
Date of Death: 28/05/1944. Age: 23. Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 166 Sqdn.
Grave Reference: Coll. grave 21. C. 5-8. Cemetery: REICHSWALD FOREST WAR CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of John and Grace Wakeham; husband of Jean Iris Wakeham, of Hailsham, Sussex.
BROADBENT, ALAN STEWART. Rank: Sergeant. Trade: Flt. Engr. Service No: 1593830.
Date of Death: 28/05/1944. Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 166 Sqdn.
Grave Reference: Coll. grave 21. C. 5-8. Cemetery: REICHSWALD FOREST WAR CEMETERY.
SNELL, ALAN. Rank: Pilot Officer. Trade: Pilot. Service No: 174376. Date of Death: 28/05/1944.
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 166 Sqdn.
TIXHON, W, Rank: Sergeant. Service No: 1814861. Date of Death: 28/05/1944.
[NOTE: Tixhon was a Belgian, born 11 October 1922 in Antwerp, who joined the RAF.]
WITCOMB, LESLIE JOHN. Rank: Sergeant. Trade: W.Op./Air Gnr. Service No: 1323019. Age: 22.
Date of Death: 28/05/1944. Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 166 Sqdn.
Additional Information: Son of Albert Edward and May Louise Witcomb, of Ealing, Middlesex.
YATES, ROBERT FRANCIS. Rank: Flight Sergeant. Trade: Flt. Engr. Service No: 1437758.
Date of Death: 28/05/1944. Age: 22.
Additional Information: Son of John Yates, and of Dorothy Yates, of Chorley, Lancashire.
CROMPTON, WILLIAM ROLAND. Rank: Sergeant. Trade: Air Gnr. Service No: 1095831. Age: 23.
Grave Reference: 21. G. 10. Cemetery: REICHSWALD FOREST WAR CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Husband of Caroline Crompton, of Newton Heath, Manchester.

[Technically Collective Grave 5 to 8 should contain only 4 sets of remains, yet here it covers 6 with only Crompton having a separate grave, and that apparently one grave removed from his comrades.]

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: