South-East History Boards
May 01, 2017, 03:36:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles Rolls Memorial, Dover  (Read 1336 times)
John
Editor

« on: October 04, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »

A memorial to an aviation pioneer, the first man to fly the English Channel both directions in one single flight.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
P1010004.JPG

I voted to leave the European Union..
John
Editor

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 20:04:49 PM »

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
P1010005.jpg

I voted to leave the European Union..
Pete
Valued Contributor

We Wunt Be Druv

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:43:34 AM »

The Hon. Chas. S. Rolls, on the night of the 2nd inst., flew from Dover to Sand gate on the French coast, and returned to Dover without alighting or stopping his engine. He started from the cliffs near Dover Castle at 6.30, in unusually clear weather, and arrived over Sangatte shortly after seven. He circled above the Channel Tunnel Works, dropped three triplicate messages for the Aero Club of France, and then began the homeward journey. Thousands of people witnessed his return flight from the sea front and the cliffs at Dover. Mr. Rolls flew steadily, and with marvellous ease at an average altitude of 1,000 feet. He circled around the outer towers of Dover Castle, where lie was cheered by the garrison ,passed over the heads of 650 boys at the Duke of York 's Military School, and alighted at eight o'clock 150 yards from his aeroplane shed on the eastern cliffs. During the outward flight Mr. Rolls had Calais and the French coast in view all the way, but he returned in a haze, and was forced to steer by the sun for two-thirds of the voyage. The King has sent a telegram of congratulation to the Hon. C. S. Rolls on his Channel flight.

The Welshman 11/6/1910

INTERVIEW WITH MR ROLLS. Experiences of the Flight. I was courteously accorded an interview by Mr Rolls on his experiences. Mr Rolls said "The highest altitude I reached on the double flight was 1,000 feet, and I made the greater part of the flight at that height. My engine acted in the most gratifying manner for the whole distance, and never missed fire on one occasion. The experience was a most exhilarating, one. It was-so beautifully-clear that I could see Calais from the time I left the Dover cliffs, so that there was no difficulty whatever in steering my course across, but owing to the wind there was a little deviation, with the. result that I made the land at Sangatte instead of at Calais. I circled around the Channel Tunnel Works at Sangatte, and I found everything was working well and that there should be no difficulty in making the flight back to Dover ..which I had set my heart upon. It was 7.15 when I reached Sangatte, and I then planed down to 800 feet. As I made my circle over Sangatte I dropped three duplicate messages contained in weighted envelopes. They each bore the following message :"Greetings to the Aero Club of France dropped from the Wright aeroplane crossing England to France C. S. Rolls. Vive l'entente."  I started my return flight immediately after dropping out these notes, and planed up to about 1,000 feet. Soon after leaving the coast there was a good deal of haze on that side of the Channel, and right away to mid Channel in fact. I had about three-parts completed the journey before I could pick out Dover Castle. I had to do the same as De Lesseps did the other day, and for a consider able part of the homeward flight I had to take my course by the sun, as I had no other means of effectively ascertaining my correct course after I had passed the tug, which was very early on the return flight. When I saw Dover Castle in the distance I decided that as I had plenty of petrol, and as my engines were working splendidly, I would encircle the castle, although it would lengthen my flight considerably. I did this, and then continued the flight to my aeroplane shed here. On the double journey, and including my circling over the land, I covered. quite 50 miles, and I have still enough petrol in my tank to have carried me half-way across the Channel. again." Mr Rolls, added that on the. outward flight he deviated 30 degrees to the west owing to the strong wind he encountered at the great height at which-he was flying.
To Receive 2,000 Francs Cup.
I understand that Messrs Ruinart, whose £500 prize for a cross Channel flight "was won the other day by M. de Lesseps, have announced their intention of presenting Mr Rolls with a consolation cup valued at 2,000 francs. I am also told on good authority that a number of other aviators, including-several Frenchmen, will attempt Channel flights during the next few days.

Cardiff Times 4/6/1910

Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: