South-East History Boards
April 23, 2017, 18:48:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Able Seaman J. Godfrey  (Read 186 times)
John
Editor

« on: June 23, 2016, 09:15:07 AM »

GODFREY, J
Service No:185558(PO)
Date of Death:02/06/1916
Regiment/Service:Royal Navy H.M.S. "Flirt"
Grave Reference: Kidd's. 8. 6 1/2.
Cemetery:PORTSMOUTH (KINGSTON) CEMETERY

Portsmouth Evening News - Saturday 10 June 1916

KILLED IN ACTION: GODFREY - Killed whilst doing his duty, Dan Godfrey, H.M.S. Flirt, dearly-loved husband of Kitty Godfrey, June 2nd, 1916.

It may be in the better land
I'll read the meaning of my tears,
And then, ah then, I'll understand

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Godfrey J.JPG

I voted to leave the European Union..
Craggs

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 09:40:26 AM »

Able Seaman Joseph Godfrey was one of six crew members from HMS Flirt who died in the same incident.  One of the casualties was HMS Flirt's commanding officer,  Lieutenant Andrew Nevill Swainson .   I'm trying to put together a picture of what happened to these men and I will, in due course do a post for HMS Flirt.  To see a few more additional details please see the post for Lieutenant Andrew Swainson
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 20:58:15 PM »

Name:   Joseph Godfrey
Birth Date:   11 Apr 1877
Birth Place:   Hoddlesden, Hants
Service Number:   185558
First Service Date:   11 Sep 1895
First Ship Served On:   Victory I
Last Service Date:   2 Jun 1916
Last Ship Served On:   Attentive II

Believe in Merchant Navy before joining RN.
In 1891 as a 14 year old, on Mercury Training Ship. Spinhead, off Binstead—training for the Royal Navy. .

Army & Navy show wife-Remarried Mrs Adams 34 Langley Rd, Portsmouth.  

Noted_ both Godfrey & Marchant show date of death 2.6.1916, but Swainson shows 1.6.1916

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
godfrey 1.jpg
Craggs

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 14:59:17 PM »

Thank you Alkhamhills,

The slight discrepancy for the date of death is something that did raise a question in my mind.  A search of the internet shows that nobody, so far, seems to know exactly what happened.  The most popular theory is that the destroyer, HMS Flirt, was moored off Pevensey and for some reason launched a small boat / launch which possibly overturned.  The discrepancy in the dates of death is also discussed and there is no firm reason - however - I do believe they all died in the same incident.

Both Able Seaman Joseph Godfrey and Able Seaman William Marchant are shown, as you correctly posted, as "Last Ship Served On:   Attentive II" ........  HMS Attentive II was the shore base for the Dover Patrol, and was established in 1914 and decommissioned 31 October 1919.  Under "HMS Attentive II" on both men's written records is the word "Flirt" in brackets.

All this is going towards the post that I am constructing for "HMS Flirt" and clearly both Able Seaman Joseph Godfrey and Able Seaman William Marchant play a part in that vessel's history. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: