South-East History Boards
May 26, 2017, 16:05:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawkinge War Memorial  (Read 88 times)
John
Editor

« on: November 01, 2014, 16:39:55 PM »

Probably the most neglected WWI parish memorial I've ever come across - Hawkinge..

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Hawkinge memorial.JPG

I voted to leave the European Union..
John
Editor

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:20:16 AM »

Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald - Saturday 17 November 1923

HAWKINGE MEMORIAL CROSS.
At Hawkinge on Armistice Sunday an oak cross, lately erected in the churchyard in memory of the nineteen men who fell in the Great War, was unveiled.

The cross which is of solid oak, was generously presented by Mr. H. Kettle, the cost of the base and of erection being defrayed out of the balance from the war memorial tablet already in the church.

Squad. Leader Peck, of the 25th Squadron of the Royal Air Force, now stationed at Hawkinge, performed the unveiling ceremony. A detachment of the R.A.F. sounded the Reveille.

The service of dedication which followed was conducted by the Rector (the Rev. A. R. Simpson). After the service many beautiful wreaths were placed on the memorial, including one from the officers and men of the 25th Squadron of the R.A.F.

I voted to leave the European Union..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: