South-East History Boards
April 28, 2017, 11:11:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Staplefield War Memorial  (Read 110 times)
Craggs

« on: September 24, 2016, 14:20:30 PM »

Staplefield is a village in West Sussex about 6 miles from Haywards Heath.  Those travelling to the well known National Trust house and gardens at Nymans may well have passed this war memorial.

The church referred to on the inscription is St. Marks - but I haven't yet, for various reasons, been able to get inside to photograph the WWI and WWII plaques.

Mid Sussex Times - Tuesday 16 March 1920

STAPLEFIELD.

THE WAR MEMORIAL. - In connection with the Staplefield War Memorial - to consist of a tablet in the Church and a cross on the Common - about £350 is required, and the committee are circularising residents asking for generous gifts, which we feel sure they will receive when the collectors call.  Mr C.K. Crane, of Dorcas, Staplefield, is Treasurer to the fund and Mr Stanley Powell (Secretary).

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
staplefield1.jpg
staplefield2.jpg
Craggs

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 19:52:27 PM »

The inscription at the bottom of the War Memorial reads :

"THEIR NAMES ARE INSCRIBED ON THE TABLET IN THE CHURCH"

A day out , today , to the National Trust home at Nymens gave me a good opportunity to go back to Staplefield and , at last , I managed to get inside St. Mark's Church and photograph the 'tablet' referred to on the War Memorial..........  once again my photographic ability was challenged by the reflection from the plaque / tablet .....  the attached photos are the best that I could do.

The first photograph shows the 'tablet' in full.  The top, three pane tablet, is the WWI memorial.  The lower, smaller single plaque under the main item is the WWII addition - although it gives just one name and there are two WWII burials in the churchyard.

The names on the left wing of the WWI tablet are :

F. Bates
A. Comber
P. Covey
P.J. Cox
G. Edwards
T. James
J. Joyce
W. Knight

The names on the right wing of the WWI tablet are :

F. Mitchell
W.H. Mitchell
W. Monk
R. Newnham
A. Nye
F. Pierce
W.G. Sayers
A.E. Simmonds
A.E.V. Stoner

The singular name on the lower WWII plaque is "P.G. Philcox" - although there is also another WWII burial in the churchyard - that of Corporal Rupert Tweney (died 1.9.41) : I've got a bit more to do before I work out why this is the case.

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
stg1.jpg
stg2.jpg
stg3.jpg
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: