South-East History Boards
May 24, 2017, 12:58:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Postcards by Harold H. Camburn the Wells Series  (Read 361 times)
Ed gilbert
Contributor

« on: December 02, 2016, 10:55:33 AM »

Hello

I am working on compiling a list of all known postcards produced by Tunbridge Wells photographer and postcard printer/publisher Harold H. Camburn. I wish to begin with Kent first and later will expand the list to include Sussex and other counties.

Camburn's cards are distinguished on the back by his logo- a wishing well with rope and bucket in his "Wells Series". Most often his name is also on the back either alone or added to it the name of the person for whom he produced the postcard (typically the local post office, or stationers shop in the village/town). Typically the front of his cards have a hand printed caption in white with a number in front of the caption or separate from it towards the right hand side. Most of his views are street scenes and local views  and the majority of his photographs have a brown/sepia tone to them and do not have boarders. Occasionally his images do not have a card number but can be identified on the back or by other typical signs of his work.

I wish to produce a list by card number and title by town/village along with a photo image of the card itself (at least the front of the card and also the back if you can as the back will give the dated franked if used and sometimes other interesting details )Can you can help by posting examples of his work?
C. McLeod
Newcomer

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 13:32:03 PM »

Hello,
My family is from Lenham (Kent), and I have a small collection of postcards of the Lenham/Stalisfield area, and a much larger thematic collection of cards featuring shells & molluscs. I have found just one postcard in my collection produced by HH Camburn, which I attach. It is titled 'Top of Rowdow, Kemsing' (which is near Sevenoaks), and is numbered 9 in the bottom RH corner. It is not written on or postally used, but it has Camburn's 'Wishing Well' logo and the statement "Produced by HH Camburn, Tunbridge Wells, for T. Brister, Clovelly Stores, East Hill, Kemsing".
I would welcome any information as to the approximate date of the photo.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
KemsingSnailNotice01a.jpg
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: