South-East History Boards
July 23, 2017, 21:57:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Postcards by Harold H. Camburn the Wells Series  (Read 650 times)
Ed gilbert
Contributor

« on: December 02, 2016, 10:55:33 AM »

Hello

I am working on compiling a list of all known postcards produced by Tunbridge Wells photographer and postcard printer/publisher Harold H. Camburn. I wish to begin with Kent first and later will expand the list to include Sussex and other counties.

Camburn's cards are distinguished on the back by his logo- a wishing well with rope and bucket in his "Wells Series". Most often his name is also on the back either alone or added to it the name of the person for whom he produced the postcard (typically the local post office, or stationers shop in the village/town). Typically the front of his cards have a hand printed caption in white with a number in front of the caption or separate from it towards the right hand side. Most of his views are street scenes and local views  and the majority of his photographs have a brown/sepia tone to them and do not have boarders. Occasionally his images do not have a card number but can be identified on the back or by other typical signs of his work.

I wish to produce a list by card number and title by town/village along with a photo image of the card itself (at least the front of the card and also the back if you can as the back will give the dated franked if used and sometimes other interesting details )Can you can help by posting examples of his work?
C. McLeod
Newcomer

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 13:32:03 PM »

Hello,
My family is from Lenham (Kent), and I have a small collection of postcards of the Lenham/Stalisfield area, and a much larger thematic collection of cards featuring shells & molluscs. I have found just one postcard in my collection produced by HH Camburn, which I attach. It is titled 'Top of Rowdow, Kemsing' (which is near Sevenoaks), and is numbered 9 in the bottom RH corner. It is not written on or postally used, but it has Camburn's 'Wishing Well' logo and the statement "Produced by HH Camburn, Tunbridge Wells, for T. Brister, Clovelly Stores, East Hill, Kemsing".
I would welcome any information as to the approximate date of the photo.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
KemsingSnailNotice01a.jpg
C. McLeod
Newcomer

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 18:03:46 PM »

Recently acquired a nice card captioned 'Ye Olde Forge, Lenham, Kent, numbered 8 in the bottom RH corner. Although written on the back, it is not posted or dated, but has it Camburn's 'Wishing Well' logo and the statement "Produced by H. Camburn, Tunbridge Wells, for J.B. Hughes, Post Office, Lenham".

LenhamOldForge01a.jpg
C. McLeod
Newcomer

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 18:33:09 PM »

I've now had time to go through the remainder of my postcard collection, and have found 19 more cards of Lenham by Camburn, all produced for JB Hughes, Post Office, Lenham. They are as follows:
No. 1 'A corner of Church interior, Lenham, Kent'
No. 2 'Pilgrims Road, Lenham, Kent' (posted November 1935)
No. 5 'The Square, Lenham, Kent' (posted 1915)
No. 7 'The Square, Lenham, Kent' (posted 1915)
No. 9 'Lenham from Church tower' (posted February 1924)
No. 13 'St Mary's [Church], Lenham, Kent'
No. 14 'View from Church tower, Lenham, Kent' (posted May 1915)
No. 15 'The Limes, Lenham, Kent' (posted January 1936)
No. 19 'The Church, Lenham, Kent'
No. 20 'Ye Olde High House, Lenham, Kent'
No. 24 'Grove House, Lenham, Kent'
No. 28 'Old Lenham and Limes' (unposted, but with handwritten note dated June 1929; another copy has a handwritten date August 1928)
No. 38 'Ashford Road, Lenham, Kent' (posted November, year illegible, but with 1d stamp issued 1934-36)
No. 51 'Sanatorium, Lenham, Kent' (unposted, but with handwritten Christmas message, year not given but cannot have been written earlier than ~1930)
No. 78 'War Memorial, Lenham, Kent' (unposted; the Memorial was unveiled in September 1922, but this image must be later than the other cards here of the Memorial, as it shows the railings which had not been installed at the time of unveiling.)
No. 79 'View showing Cross on the Hill and Firs at Lenham' (a distant view of the War Memorial, unveiled in September 1922, taken prior to the installation of the railings.)
No. 80 'The War Memorial, Lenham, Kent' (unveiled in September 1922, taken prior to the installation of the railings.)
'Unveiling of Lenham War Memorial' (unveiled in September 1922). Unusually, this postcard is not numbered.
No. 102 'Lenham Sanatorium' (unposted, but with handwritten Christmas message, year not given but cannot have been written earlier than ~1930).

Viewing the cards together, it looks rather as if many of the cards of the village were taken on the same brilliant summer day, but they were clearly not all printed in a single batch. The font printed on the back varies, as does the colour of the ink, being either brown or black, and 'The Wells Series' trademark appears in large and small versions. Cards 2, 15, 28, 38 & 102 have the statement "Produced by H.H. Camburn...", while the others give just a single H. The majority of the cards are printed 'upside-down' with the logo on the reverse appearing at the bottom, but Nos. 2, 15, 38 & 102 are printed more conventionally.

There are 6 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
01LenhamChurchInt.jpg
02LenhamPilgrimsRd.jpg
05LenhamSq.jpg
07LenhamSq.jpg
09LenhamChurchTwrView.jpg
13LenhamStMarysChurch.jpg
C. McLeod
Newcomer

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 18:43:32 PM »

The second lot of six cards described in the message above (can only upload six images at once)

14LenhamChurchTwrView.jpg
15LenhamLimes.jpg
19LenhamChurch.jpg
20LenhamOldHighHo.jpg
24LenhamGroveHo.jpg
28OldLenham&Limes.jpg
C. McLeod
Newcomer

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 18:46:24 PM »

The third lot of six cards described in the message above

102LenhamSan.jpg
38LenhamAshfordRd.jpg
51LenhamSan.jpg
78LenhamWarMeml.jpg
79LenhamWarMemlCross&Firs.jpg
80LenhamWarMeml.jpg
PNK
Prolific Contributor

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 18:46:35 PM »

Has there been a recent upsurge in postcard collecting and especially recording of them?

One rainy day I decided to look for postcards of places I knew as a kid and found there were hundreds available. In one case it enabled me to identify the location of an air to ground firing range (Studland Bay, Dorset)! Good luck with your quest as dating information on some postcards is obviously wrong with some only based on posting dates.
C. McLeod
Newcomer

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 18:48:54 PM »

The final card described in the message above  Smiley

LenhamWarMeml1922.jpg
Man of Kent1
Valued Contributor

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 23:10:28 PM »

Looking at C. McLeod's postcard No. 5, I recognise the area ahead of the camera as being 'Church Square'. Driving through that Square you eventually come to a farm entrance and that leads to a most magnificent, ancient and large tithe barn, which has been fully restored in recent years.
This building is often used for community events but the one I was most interested in was the annual 'Pilgrims' Art Exhibition' held every May and featuring the best of work by artists from all over Kent.
One of my then art shop colleagues helped to organise this event.
Pete
Valued Contributor

We Wunt Be Druv

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 09:40:27 AM »

In the closing years of the Sanatorium it was used for convalescence for the West Kent Hospital in Maidstone. In 1965 I had my appendix out and was moved there for a week, memories are of staff all fully gowned & masked even though I don't believe there were any TB patients and being given a jar of sugar and one of margarine, both to last a week. Given it was June the marg was liquid. The fresh air culture still existed and the doors of the 4 bed ward would be hurled open first thing in the morning until late evening.

Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th
PNK
Prolific Contributor

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 18:49:06 PM »

My mum had TB in 1962/3 and she spent 6 months in Farnborough Hospital (Kent). The doors were firmly shut then as it was the coldest winter since 1947! I had to wait outside with my sister looking in through the window whilst standing in the deep snow. Absolutely no children allowed then. We didn't speak to mum for 6 months. The medical profession has a lot to answer for! I don't think there were any sanatoriums around then, at least not local to us (Eltham).

I believe the rise of MRSA has a lot to do with the hospitals today keeping everything toasty - like a giant petri dish - ideal breeding conditions for bacteria. They need to open the windows and let the air in. Pollution is better than MRSA!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: