South-East History Boards
May 24, 2017, 12:48:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The sinking of the P&O steamer "Maloja" , mined 27th February 1916  (Read 374 times)
Craggs

« on: December 12, 2016, 16:31:40 PM »

The P&O steamer "Maloja" was a 12,400 ton passenger liner built by Harland and Wolff, Belfast in 1911.   She met her fate two miles off Dover on the 27th February 1916 with the loss of 155 lives.

Her last voyage started from Tilbury and was due to sail to Bombay with a full cargo and a passenger complement of both military and civilian personnel.  She had a crew of 301 which, in accordance with P&O practices, comprised of British Naval Officers and "lascar" crewmen. On this voyage she had a passenger complement of 122 men, women and children, although her full capacity was 670 passengers.

"Lascars" were "sailors or militiaman from South Asia, Southeast Asia, the Arab world, and other territories located to the east of the Cape of Good Hope, who were employed on European ships from the 16th century until the middle of the 20th century".

As the ship entered the Dover Straits her Master, Captain C.D. Irving, RNR, knew that he was entering one of the most dangerous stretches of water at that time, and with this in mind he ordered all of the ship's lifeboats to be swung out on their davits - as a precaution just in case the worst should happen - and to make it easier to abandon ship should that be required...........

............  the worst did happen, and at about 10.30am she struck a mine, recently laid by German submarine UC-6.  The Maloja was holed - a massive explosion making the ship shudder.

Captain Irving immediately ordered the ship's engines to "Stop" and then to "Full Astern" to try to bring her to a speedy halt.  It was his intention to return the engines to "Stop" when she had slowed down considerably or stopped and allow the passengers and crew to get into the lifeboats -- unfortunately after the engined were put into "Full Astern" the backward motion of the vessel flooded the engine room and the engineers couldn't get to the machinery to stop the vessel going backwards - the ship continued in reverse and Maloja soon began to go down at the stern and took a list of nearly 75 degrees - preventing access to most of the lifeboats or preventing them from being launched.

Most of the passengers and crew entered the freezing February water wearing cork life-jackets.  

Following about 1 nautical mile behind the Maloja was the vessel "Empress of Fort William".  She was a small steamer (2,181 tons) carrying coal, built by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Ltd., Newcastle and being sailed by the "Canada Steamship Lines, Ltd., Montreal".  Her Master ordered the ship to go to Maloja's assistance.  Unfortunately, she too struck another mine, also laid by UC-6, and began to sink.  Fortunately her full crew escaped without loss.

The majority of those who perished in the freezing seas from the Maloja died from hypothermia.

Here is one of the many newspaper reports from the time about the incident............. half way down the newspaper article is a full list of the London passenger's names which, if you don't mind, I will skip.

Sheffield Evening Telegraph - Monday 28 February 1916

STEAMER MINED.

THE SINKING OF P & O LINER MALOJA.

MANY BODIES RECOVERED.

The P and O Liner "Maloja", a vessel of 12,431 tons, outward bound from London to Bombay, was sunk off Dover yesterday morning after striking a mine.  The passengers numbered 119 and the crew about 200 - a total of 319.  Up to this morning 47 bodies, including those of a baby and two or three children have been recovered.  Lloyd's Dover agent wires today that 112 of the crew of the Maloja have been landed there, 81 lascars and 64 passengers, and two other people not known whether they are crew or passengers, making a total of 259.

The Company last night issued the following statement :  

"The P and O Company regret to state that information has been received by the Captain of the Maloja, which left London on Saturday, for Bombay with His Majesty's mails, that at 10.30am on Sunday 27th, when the ship was mid way between Dover and Folkestone, she was struck by a mine, the after part of the ship being blown up by the explosion.   There was a high sea running at the time and the Captain, seeing the extensive damage that the ship had sustained, tried to beach her, but was unsuccessful.  The engine room being full of water due to the damage, the vessel sank in about half an hour.  There were 119 passengers on board who had embarked in London, and a large number were rescued from the water and from the ship's boats by torpedo boats and other craft and landed at Dover, and their pants were attended to at The Lord Warden Hotel and on the hospital ship St. Davids.  It is believed that almost all of the passengers have been saved.   All of the ship's boats were swung out before the incident before the accident. The passengers fortunately had time to get their lifebelts on, they having been instructed the previous evening as to their use.  The Captain's report is that all the passengers and the ship's crew, European and native, behaved splendidly".

It is stated that the great vessel turned completely over before sinking.

Soon after the Maloja sank the British steamer Empress of Fort William, of Montreal, from South Shield for Dunkirk with coal, was stopped to try to save some of the passengers and crew, when she was also mined.  All of the crew were saved and landed at Dover.

Below we are able to print an official and complete list of the passengers who sailed from London by the liner.  It is as follows : (List skipped)

In addition to the above who were on board, were about forty passengers who had intended to join the ship at Marseilles.  Miss Nowell was proceeding to India to get married.

Captain W.D. Shepherd, of the Empress of Fort William, told the following story of the disaster of the Maloja and his own vessel... "We left the Downs" he said "and shortly after we left the Maloja was astern of us, but with her superior speed we were quickly overhauled. As we neared Dover I noticed that the liner was well down by the stern, and I could see that she was in difficulties, although I heard no explosion. I immediately gave orders to get all available speed on and I also gave orders to get all boats swung out, as it was my intention to go to the assistance of the liner.  When we were off Dover I could see other vessels going tho the assistance of the Maloja.  She then had a very dangerous list and appeared to be well over on her side. In fact her port side was out of the water, and I could see eight of the ship's boats lying on the side of the vessel, from which, owing to her position, they could apparently not be slung down.  There was a large number of persons standing on the outer side of the vessel.  Only a few minutes after the Maloja sank my own vessel met with disaster".

William Coleman, the Maloja's printer, in an interview said :- "To me the explosion sounded like a big gun going off.  In fact, I thought it was our own gun, but when I heard the liner's sirens going I knew there was some danger.  I immediately got a lifebelt and ran to No. 5 lifeboat, which was my boat.  About a dozen other persons also got into the boat, but we were unable to lower it as some ropes had got jammed.  One of the officers of the ship, seeing our predicament, succeeded in getting the boat clear, and it dropped with a splash some 30 feet into the water.  Three of the occupants fell into the water, but fortunately they were rescued, and we were ultimately put on board a Dover tug just in the nick of time as our own boat was half full of water".

Mr. V. S. Anderson, of Nottingham, told a "Daily Express" correspondent... "I was sitting in the second-class saloon on the port side when there was suddenly a tremendous explosion and there starboard side of the saloon was blown out. Glass and iron was flying everywhere, and water at once swamped the place.  I rushed to the deck and found a lady with two children who was endeavouring to find lifebelts for herself and one child. She had got one for the other child.  I found the lady a lifebelt and took charge of the younger child.  I tried to get them into a boat but it was winging in the davits, which appeared to have become blocked, and the boat capsized, and the lady and children went int the sea. There were a number of vessels about, and I hope that they were saved, but I have not been able to find anything of them since.  I was in the sea for some time and was then hauled into a boat and taken to a trawler.  There was rather a high sea running which continually broke into my face while I was in the water.  The boats were picking up people who were swimming around in the water clinging to all sorts of wreckage.  It only seemed about 10 minutes from the explosion until the ship sank".

The Maloja had on board about 1,000 tons of mails, in addition to a valuable cargo.  She lies in about 17 fathoms of water.  

Relatives of passengers are arriving at Dover for the purpose of identifying bodies, and it is anticipated by the police authorities that by tomorrow, when the inquest will open, as many of the victims will have been identified as possible.

About a year ago - on February 20, 1915 - the Maloja had an exciting run from an enemy armed merchantman.  She was entering the English Channel, bound for Plymouth, with over 400 passengers on board, when the stranger ordered her to stop.  The Maloja crowded on full steam, bringing her speed up to 20 knots, and all the shots fell short.  Finally the liner fell in with a British patrol.

The Naval History net shows the Maloja's crew loss as :

Sunday, 27 February 1916

Maloja, steamship, mined and sunk in Dover Straits, 122 lives lost including dockyard workers and naval ratings
COLWILL, Samuel, Chief Shipwright, 175985 (Dev)
COX, Frederick W, Hired Skilled Labourer, Admiralty civilian, (O/P)
CRAGG, Richard T, Dockyard Artificer, Admiralty civilian, (O/P)
FLAHERTY, Joseph, Leading Seaman, RNR, A 2281
LANGLEY, Albert W, Hired Skilled Labourer, Admiralty civilian, (O/P)
MACDONALD, Angus MacD, Engine Room Artificer, RNR, EA 1999
PERT, George E, Skilled Labourer, Admiralty civilian, (O/P)
ROSE, Albert, Hired Skilled Labourer, Admiralty civilian, (O/P)

The following is a quote from Wikipedia

MONUMENTS

13 of the dead are buried in the St Mary the Virgin New Cemetery, Dover. They include three servicemen, four women, and four children aged 3, 5, 6 and 8.

The servicemen were given Commonwealth war graves. As well as the three buried at Dover, one is buried at Horsham and another at Portsmouth.

Many of the 155 dead were Lascars. P&O erected a monument to 22 of them in St Mary's Cemetery.

I have done a small separate post for "The Empress of Fort William"

If anyone wants to add to this post - please do.  I have a feeling that trying to find the graves of the victims may be quite difficult so any help would be appreciated.
Longpockets
Valued Contributor

Opportunities always look bigger going than coming

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 19:12:43 PM »

From CWGC

I have modified the post today, additions are in Red.

Commemorated on The Tower Hill Memorial London
F R GARDEN                      Wireless Operator      Mercantile Marine
ASHLEY St. JOHN SINCLAIR Bed Steward             Mercantile Marine
WILLIAM LINDSEY              Bed Steward             Mercantile Marine

Buried DOVER (ST. MARY'S) NEW CEMETERY
E MABERLEY                     Stewardess               Mercantile Marine
ALFRED WILLIAM LUCAS     Bed Steward              Mercantile Marine

There are 78 casualties for 27th. February 1916 based on a search for civilians, Mercantile Marine and misc.
ASHLEY St. JOHN SINCLAIR is listed twice?
There is one German from who knows where?
The remaining 71 are listed as Indian Merchant Service - Service Indian - BOMBAY 1914-1918 MEMORIAL, MUMBAI serving on "Maloja"

There are 90 casualties for 27th. February 1916 based on a search for Navy but it returns more than just Navy.

Commemorated on The Tower Hill Memorial London
BLEWITT   H                                   Bed Steward           Mercantile Marine
BOX   PERCY TUFNEL                           Linen Keeper           Mercantile Marine
PALMER   ADELAIDE ANN                   Stewardess                   Mercantile Marine
PASSEY   JOSEPH                           Able Seaman           Mercantile Marine Served as WOODS
SADLER   WILLIAM FRANCIS EDWARD   Hydraulic Winchman   Mercantile Marine
SANDERS   GEORGE HENRY   Deck and Lounge Steward           Mercantile Marine

Repeats from first search -

GARDEN   F R   Wireless Operator   Mercantile Marine
LINDSEY   WILLIAM           Bed Steward   Mercantile Marine
SINCLAIR   ASHLEY St. JOHN   Bed Steward   Mercantile Marine

Buried DOVER (ST. MARY'S) NEW CEMETERY
COLWILL   SAMUEL   Chief Shipwright   Royal Navy
KEMP   JOHN FITCH           Bed Steward   Mercantile Marine

Repeats from first search -

LUCAS   ALFRED WILLIAM   Bed Steward   Mercantile Marine
MABERLEY   E                   Stewardess           Mercantile Marine

Other casualties
FLAHERTY   JOSEPH                           Leading Seaman           Royal Naval Reserve   PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL
MACDONALD   ANGUS MACDONALD   Engine Room Artificer   Royal Naval Reserve   PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL
SEYMOUR   ESTHER                           Stewardess                   Mercantile Marine           HAMPSTEAD CEMETERY
HERRING   HENRY GEORGE                   Bed Steward           Mercantile Marine           TIVERTON CEMETERY

PORTSMOUTH (HIGHLAND ROAD) CEMETERY Definite dockyard casualty from "Maloja"
PERT   GEORGE EDWARD                          Skilled Labour           H.M. Dockyard

Possible dockyard casualties from "Maloja"
COX   FREDERICK WILLIAM                   Hired Skilled Labourer   H.M. Dockyard   CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL
LANGLEY   ALBERT WILLIAM.                   Hired Skilled Labourer   H.M. Dockyard   CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL
ROSE   ALBERT                                   Hired Skilled Labourer   H.M. Dockyard   CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL
TRELIVING   A B                                   Fitter                           H.M. Dockyard   PLYMOUTH (WESTON MILL) CEMETERY

There are 63 listed as Indian Merchant Service - Service Indian - BOMBAY 1914-1918 MEMORIAL, MUMBAI serving on "Maloja"
There are 5 listed as Naval casualties with no connection to "Maloja"

I did a further search on the CWGC web site today just by date and then sorted through the results.
There are 63 total listed as Indian Merchant Service - Service Indian - BOMBAY 1914-1918 MEMORIAL, MUMBAI serving on "Maloja"
I found two more which are below and are assumptions but their grave numbers are very close to the other casualties buried in DOVER (ST. MARY'S) NEW CEMETERY

H J F   HARRIS      Second Lieutenant   Indian Army Reserve of Officers            DOVER (ST. MARY'S) NEW CEMETERY ( I posted this at the same time as Craggs posted reply 3 which shows him as well.
W J S   MAINE   M C   Senior Assistant Surgeon   Indian Subordinate Medical Department            DOVER (ST. MARY'S) NEW CEMETERY

By the time you make ends meet, the've moved the ends.
Craggs

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 15:02:58 PM »

The inquest was opened on Tuesday 29th February 1916.  At that time the full number of dead was not known - by quite a long way.  Some newspaper reports spell the Coroner's name as "Payne" and others as "Payn".

Liverpool Daily Post - Wednesday 01 March 1916

MALOJA TRAGEDY

SAD STORIES AT THE INQUEST.

GENERAL'S EFFORTS TO SAVE HIS WIFE.

The Dover Coroner, Mr Sydenham Payn, opened the inquest on the Maloja victims at Dover yesterday.  The Coroner said they were called to investigate the cause of death of fifty-five persons who lost their lives in the sinking of the P. and O. liner Maloja.

Most of the bodies had been landed at Dover but others had been washed up on the coast outside the Borough.  All of the bodies recovered, however, were now in the local mortuary, so that one enquiry would be sufficient.  As yet only fourteen of the total number of fifty-five recovered had been identified.  There were several lascars amongst the crew and it was doubtful their names would ever be ascertained.  As to the dead passengers and the English members of the crew he was hopeful that before the bodies were buried they would all be identified.  The inquiry would have to be adjourned.

Brigadier General McLeod, in giving evidence of identification of his wife, Florence Mary McLeod, aged thirty-eight, told a graphic story of how he tried to save her.  "After the explosion" he said "we both rushed and got our lifebelts, and I also assisted in getting a boat over the side of the vessel, but the Maloja only kept on a steady keel for about five minutes. As soon as the ship began to list the lifeboats on our side could not be launched. Then I threw my wife into the water and I jumped in quickly after her. I then swam and got hold of her, and supported her for about half an hour or more. Then we were picked up by a trawler. We both had our lifebelts on at the time. The crew of the trawler did all they could to restore my wife to consciousness, but she was too exhausted from the shock of being in the cold water. She never spoke another word to me or anybody after being thrown in the water".

Further evidence of identification was called before Chief Officer Forbes related his story of the sinking of the vessel.

Second-Lieutenant H. Vincent (3-10th London Regiment) identified the body of his brother-in-law, Mr Frederick J. Scobie, of The National Bank of India.  Mrs Scobie was standing at the side of the ship when the explosion occurred. Mr Scobie ran to her assistance and tied a lifebelt round her. She then tied a lifebelt round her husband. On account of the list they had to slide down the side of the vessel into the water. That was the last that Mrs Scobie saw of her husband.

Corporal Edgar Partridge identified the body of his sister-in-law, Mrs Fanny Partridge, aged 38, and her two little boys, aged eight and six respectively. they had been in England for some time, and the Government had given them passage back to India, where the dead woman's husband was employed.
The Coroner - That was bad luck.

Mrs Edwards, wife of a sergeant-major in the Army Ordnance Corps, identified the body of her baby, aged three years. She had five children aboard the ship, and only two had been saved. The bodies of the other two had not yet been recovered. A sister of Mrs Edwards, who was travelling with her, was also drowned. Witness said that she was in the water about half an hour before being picked up. The witness sobbed all the time she was giving evidence and frequently broke down crying bitterly.

Mrs. Harris, wife of Dr. Harris of Wimpole Street, London, identified the body of Samuel C. Harris, her brother-in-law, who belonged to the Reserve of Officers of The Indian Army.

Mr H. Martin, Head of Appointments Department, Whitehall, identified the body of Mr. W. Maley, senior medical officer of The Indian Navigation Service, who belonged to Dublin.

George Duncan Forbes, chief officer, told the story of the sinking of the vessel about 10.15.  They were signalled off Dover and at 10.30 he was on the bridge with the Captain.  
The Coroner - Did you have any directions ? - Yes.
And you followed those directions ? - Yes, we followed them minutely.
Was it a very violent explosion ? - No, not very loud; just like a gun going off.
Further questioned, witness stated he could not say whether it was a mine or a torpedo. He thought it had probably been caused by a torpedo. He had nothing to go upon, of course, but that was his idea.
What leads you to think it was a torpedo. Two ships being blown up in line one after the other ? - Yes.
But that might occur if someone had been laying a few mines in a line ? - Yes, but in this case the explosion was caused astern. It might have been a mine of course.

The Inquest was adjourned until tomorrow.

Craggs

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 16:17:44 PM »

Aberdeen Press and Journal - Thursday 02 March 1916

VICTIMS OF MALOJA DISASTER.

The number of victims of the Maloja landed at Dover has been increased to 58, two lascars' bodies having been washed ashore, while the body of a woman has been brought from Ramsgate, having been washed ashore there.  Nearly all of the victims have been identified.  The body of the wife of Brigadier General McLeod has been conveyed to Glasgow.

Two gentleman who appear frequently in the newspapers after the sinking are Second Lieutenant Harris and Lieutenant McKinley.  Their CWGC entries read - respectively :

HARRIS, H J F
Date of Death:27/02/1916
Regiment/Service:Indian Army Reserve of Officers
Grave Reference: L. M. 11. Cemetery:DOVER (ST. MARY'S) NEW CEMETERY

McKINTY, ALEXANDER JOSEPH (ALLISTER)
Date of Death:27/02/1916 Age:31
Regiment/Service:Indian Army Reserve of Officers
Grave Reference: G. 34. Cemetery:ABERDEEN (ALLENVALE) CEMETERY
Additional Information:Son of Charles McKinty (Inland Revenue and Excise Officer) and Caroline McKinty, of 148, Great Western Rd., Aberdeen. Returned from Bolivia, South America, at end of 1915, to join. Born at Invernettie, Peterhead.

If you go onto Lieutenant Harris' CWGC entry and then go to the "grave registration" page - it leads you to other victims of the disaster.   This may be a slightly bigger topic than I first imagined.  Thank you Longpockets for your reply, above - any additional help will be appreciated and the topic is open to anyone who may be able to help..........  thanks.... NC

pomme homme
Valued Contributor

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 17:04:07 PM »

Some newspaper reports spell the Coroner's name as "Payne" and others as "Payn"

Payn, it seems, is the spelling of his surname. He has his own thread in the 'Legal - Solicitors, Coroners and Judges' section of this forum.
Craggs

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 08:12:09 AM »

Some of the funerals of the "Europeans" and the "Lascars"......................

Dover Express - Friday 10 March 1916

FUNERAL OF THE EUROPEANS OF THE MALOJA

On Monday afternoon the funeral of fourteen of the Europeans lost on the "Maloja" took place at St. Mary's cemetery.  Of the thirty seven Europeans whose bodies were recovered, twenty three had been removed by their friends or buried elsewhere in Dover.  The names of those interred on Monday were : Lieutenant Frazer Harris, J. Fitch Kemp, Lucas, Mary Azo Pardi, Effie Edwards, Mrs. F. Partridge and her two children, Robert and James Partridge, Monsieur Ferrah, Samuel Colwell, Mrs. Maberley, who were all buried by The Church of England : and Eva Mary Stoddard, Mr. Seraphim Wery and Mrs. Julia Wery, who were Roman Catholics.

The funeral procession left the Market Hall at two o'clock.  It was headed by a firing party of the Royal Fusiliers and the band of the same regiment.  The remains of Lieut. Harris, on a gun carriage, came first, and then four transport wagons driven by soldiers conveyed the remainder of the coffins, which were covered with Union Jacks.  Accompanying the gun carriage were officers as pall bearers and men of the Royal Navy, the R.G.A., and the A.O.C., whilst the rear was brought up by the Dover Anti-Aircraft Corps.  Crowds lined the route of the procession, but the Cemetery was kept free of spectators.  The coffins were borne from the gates of the Cemetery to the graves, which were situated on the left hand side, only a little way from the gate.  The coffins were received at the gate of the Cemetery by the Vicar of St. Mary's, the Rev. W. G. Elnor, the Rev. C. P. Dale and the RevS. Richards; whilst the Rev. Father Gifkins received those of the Catholic faith.  Amongst those at the graveside was Captain Irving, the Master of the ill-fated vessel, who was accompanied by one of the Directors of the P. and O. Company : and Mr Ritchie, Mr W. Grant and Mr. A. E. Marsh of Messrs Hammond and Co.  After the conclusion of the service, the firing party fired three volleys and the buglers sounded the "Last Post".

(There then follows a long list of floral tributes which I will skip).  The newspaper article then continues........

The remains of Assistant Surgeon W. M. J. Maine, I.A., were interred with military honours on Saturday afternoon, at St. Mary's Cemetery, in one of the graves set apart for the remainder of the victims to be interred on the following Monday. The Rev. S. Richards officiated. The band of the Royal Fusiliers attended: N.C.O.s of the R.A.M.C. acted as bearers, and at the conclusion of the service three volleys were fired over the grave by men of the Royal Fusiliers, and the ceremony was concluded with the "Last Post".

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr. J. Parsons of Beaconsfield Road, Dover.

The Funeral of some of the Lascar Crew

The funeral of twenty of the Lascar crew of the "Maloja" , and of a native nurse, took place on  Friday afternoon, in the Nonconformist portion of St. Mary's Cemetery.  The transference of the remains from the Market Hall to the Cemetery was undertaken by the Military Authorities with fitting ceremonial.  The coffins, wrapped in Union Jacks, were placed in transport wagons supplied by the regiments stationed at Dover, each followed by representatives of the Forces, who acted as bearers. These included contingents from the Royal Navy, the Canadian R.G.A., and the East Surrey Regiment, whilst a contingent of the Dover Anti-Aircraft Corps followed.  The Market Place was kept clear by the police and Military Police whilst the procession was being marshalled, large crowds standing on the footway.  

The funeral procession , headed by the band of the East Surrey Regiment, proceeded via Castle Street, Maison Dieu Road, Park Avenue, Salisbury Road and Frith Road to St. Mary's Cemetery, the route being lined with crowds.  The graves were dug in the Nonconformist portion of the Cemetery close to Connaught Park.  One large grave held eighteen of the indians, who were of the Mohammedan religion, while two Lascars and the nurse, who were Catholics, were buried close by in separate graves. Men of the R.G.A. had dug the graves, there not being sufficient civilian labour otherwise.  The eighteen Mohammedans were buried with the rites of that religion and earlier in the morning ceremonies took place at the Market.  In the case of the three Catholics the Rev. Father O'Grady officiated.

Previous to the arrival of the coffins, four Indians arrived, and one who carried a large copy of the Koran, sat on the chalk and during the burial of the men read continuously in a half chant.  The internment of the eighteen Mohammedans took place as the coffins arrived, there being no pause as in the case of English internments, and in all cases the head of the coffin was placed towards the East.  It took just half an hour to place the coffins in the graves, the soldier bearers when they had placed the coffins in the grave forming up at "Attention" facing the grave. There were three wreaths :
With the deepest sympathy from The Mayor and Mayoress.
In Memoriam,  From Mrs. H. Douglas (20 Leybourne Road, Dover).
With Deepest Sympathy, from Major-General and Mrs. Campbell Hardy and the Misses Hardy, "For The Lascars"

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr. J. Parsons of Beaconsfield Road, Dover.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 14:46:48 PM »

In my initial post I skipped the passenger list.  It would seem, from the above replies, that it would be helpful to post it.  Most of the names should be legible.

This is the official list of those passengers who boarded the Maloja at Tilbury.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
maj.png
John
Editor

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 16:15:07 PM »

Dover Express - Friday 08 July 1921

The graves in St. Mary's Cemetery of the victims of the sinking of the P. and O. liner "Maloja" off Dover so far have not been marked by any monument except private ones, and the grave of the 22 Lascars has been left in a very forlorn condition, simply covered by a chalk heap. Now the Company have decided to erect a headstone, and it has recently been on view in Messrs. Whitnall and Son's premises, Frith Rd. It is of grey granite, and bears the following inscription:

"Erected by the P. and O. to the memory of 22 Lascar seamen who lost their lives by the sinking of the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company's s.s. 'Maloja,' through enemy action off this place, 27th February, 1916."

Under the inscription in English is an inscription in Arabic.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Maloja Lascar Memorial.jpg

I voted to leave the European Union..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: