South-East History Boards
May 27, 2017, 07:06:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Minster in Thanet cemetery  (Read 4786 times)
Monkton Malc
Valued Contributor

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 20:36:48 PM »

Where is the cemetery in relation to Laundry Road, M-M?  Also, was there once a laundry in Laundry Road?

If you are using a satnav then CT12 4AY should put you quite close. The original entrance to Laundry Road has now been lost to the new dual carriageway and as previously stated it is now a turning off Tothill Street that runs past McDonalds.

The laundry was a major source of employment for the village. When I left school you had jobs that you could just walk into. The laundry was one, farming was another ( I chose that one) or go down the pit. We used to have our cauliflower crates stacked against the wall of the laundry right where the steam pipes went down. good for warming hands and gloves in the winter.
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »

M-M
"down the pit". Where was that? was it coal mining on Sheppey?. If not where was the nearest pit.
I ask as an ancestor who was a mining engineer came to live and work on Sheppey, which I could not understand
John
Editor

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 09:41:26 AM »

Minster in Thanet, sir, not Minster in Sheppey  Wink

I voted to leave the European Union..
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 11:01:12 AM »

OOps. Live and learn. See next to Minster (in Thanet!!) is a village called Monkton. Live and learn !!!
Man of Kent1
Valued Contributor

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 23:28:57 PM »

Thanks for your answers, chaps!  Grin
Monkton Malc
Valued Contributor

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 21:25:33 PM »

Following a request for information by someone, I now know when the cemetery was opened.

It was opened in 1903 and the first burial was for  John Goldsack, a 55 year old gardener who died at the Isle of Thanet Union Workhouse.

He was buried on the 24th August 1903 in grave number 3062, which is about halfway along the southern edge of the cemetery.

As you would expect from someone from the workhouse, there are no grave markers. If you look at the first picture, the grave is to the left of the headstone shown. It would follow that the headstone next to it would be the second burial (unless burial number two was in the Roman Catholic section) and the date for that is September 22nd 1903.

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
001 Resized.JPG
002 Resized.JPG
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 09:35:50 AM »

John Goldsack

1901 Census
Born about 1845, Lydden, Kent
Living at Monkton St, Monkton. A boarder in house of George Richard Patterson
Both men, and another Boarder were Agricultural Labourers
John shown as married
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 09:54:45 AM »

John Walker

1901 Census
Born about 1840 Minster
Living at 2 Norton Villas, Minster. With wife Ellen and Harriett E.
John was formerly a Farm Bailiff. Daughter shown as “nursing bedridden father”

1891 Census the 3 above and 2 other children and 2 Boarders(Ag Labs) at Unreadable(xxxlock??) Minster. John a farm Bailiff

Their address in 1901and his employment would indicate a family that could afford a gravestone, still in good condition 110 years later

See below the area covered in 1891 Census(district 2 of Minster)

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
min.jpg
Monkton Malc
Valued Contributor

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 18:21:37 PM »

1891 Census the 3 above and 2 other children and 2 Boarders(Ag Labs) at Unreadable(xxxlock??) Minster. )

That would probably be Dur lock. An area of Minster round near the abbey.
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 19:58:27 PM »

6th line down, last word is xxxlock
John
Editor

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2016, 10:07:57 AM »

Thanet Advertiser - Saturday 06 October 1900

Proposed Cemetery.
At the monthly meeting of the Minster Parish Council on Tuesday, a discussion took place as to the necessity of a cemetery being provided at Minster. The Chairman (Rev. A. E. Molineux) referred to the crowded state of the churchyard, and said a cemetery must be provided in the course of two or three years. This appeared to be the unanimous feeling of the Council, but no action was taken in the matter.

John
Editor

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 15:51:09 PM »

Thanet Advertiser - Friday 09 September 1949

Off-Day for Funerals. Saturday Afternoon Ban.
Because the caretaker is off duty at that time, funerals will not be held at Minster cemetery on Saturday afternoons. Mr. R. C. Young, Clerk to Minster Council, told the members, on Tuesday, that a funeral was arranged for a Saturday afternoon and the caretaker objected as it was his afternoon off. The situation was explained to the undertaker, who said he wanted to arrange the funeral for that afternoon to save relatives of the deceased losing a day's pay. The undertaker suggested extra payment, but the caretaker said he would rather have his afternoon off than the extra money.

The Council were told that it was the only opportunity the caretaker had of fetching his washing and groceries from Margate. Councillor the Rev. T. A. Keniry thought a letter might be sent to local undertakers telling them that funerals could not be held on Saturday afternoons.

"Nobody here wants to be buried on Saturday afternoon. I am sure I don't," he said. "I think we ought to make a rule prohibiting it, except in exceptional circumstances."

alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 10:34:26 AM »

just  a couple of clues

From Death Index:-
Ms Olive May Patton
Died London, Greater London

Ms—a spinster?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: