South-East History Boards
June 29, 2017, 10:05:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kingston War Memorial  (Read 101 times)
Craggs

« on: February 27, 2017, 07:52:09 AM »

Kingston, East Sussex, is a small village just outside Lewes.  The village is also referred to as "Kingston-by-Lewes" and "Kingston-near-Lewes".  

The Parish church in the village is the Church of St. Pancras and inside, on the north wall, are two adjoining brass plaques which stand as the memorial to the fallen from the village in WWI and WWII.

The WWI brass memorial plaque reads :
In memory of the Men of Kingston Parish who laid down their lives in the Great War 1914-1918
Francis Roland Dobson.  James Richard Moody.  Boaz Charles Moody.  Harold Hoather.

Directly underneath is the WWII brass memorial plaque which reads :
Also of those who gave their lives in the Second World War 1939-1945
George Arnold.   Roger Ransome.   Sidney William Parker.

Attached is a photograph of the plaques on the wall inside The Church of St.Pancras.  Apologies, once again, for my inability to take a good close up photograph of a brass memorial.  I do have some closer photographs but they are not good enough to post.  NC.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
kingston.jpg
Man of Kent1
Valued Contributor

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 16:19:04 PM »

Those brass memorials are the worst possible to try and photo!  I try to stand at a sharp angle to the plaque in order to attempt to cut down on 'light-bounce' but I invariably fail to avoid the reflections!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: