South-East History Boards
May 24, 2017, 20:46:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tommy Trinder  (Read 89 times)
Craggs

« on: February 28, 2017, 16:53:12 PM »

Tommy Trinder

Thomas Edward Trinder
English comedian.

Born on the 24th March 1909
Died on the 10th July 1989, aged 80 years.

I was in Burvale Cemetery, Hersham, Surrey, this afternoon trying to find the grave of Odette Hallowes.  Having no idea where she was buried I had a long walk around the cemetery reading the hundreds of inscriptions on the headstones.  I was on 'auto-pilot' just waiting for the name 'Odette" to appear when I saw the name "Tommy Trinder" - which I wasn't expecting to come across, but was pleasantly surprised.

Tommy Trinder was, in my opinion, one of the all-time greats of classic British comedy.  He appeared on stage, screen, radio and eventually on TV.  

During the days of WWII he entertained the public and gave light relief in the dark days of this conflict, especially during "The Blitz".  He also appeared in a number of straight acting parts - one of which was "The Bells Go Down" which was a tribute to the London Fire Brigade during The Blitz.

In 1975 he was honoured with the award of C.B.E.

He died on the  10th July 1989, aged 80 years and, as I said above, was buried in Burvale Cemetery, Hersham, Surrey.

A huge amount can be said about Tommy Trinder.  I wonder if any Forum members have memories of him...... "You lucky people".

Attached is a photograph of his grave headstone.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
trinder.jpg
Pete
Valued Contributor

We Wunt Be Druv

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 17:26:01 PM »

I'm a "lucky person". remember him well. The film Bells Go Down was on TV a few months back

Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th
John
Editor

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 17:37:25 PM »

I voted to leave the European Union..
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 20:36:06 PM »

He was chairman of Fulham Football Club 1959/1976. Two of his players were Johnny Haynes & Jimmy Hill. The first Football match I saw was at Fulham in 1960
Craggs

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 06:43:49 AM »

Here is a great photograph.  Published in the Daily Mail as part of Jimmy Hill's obituary in December 2015.  The caption reads :

"Hill poses with Fulham chairman Tommy Trinder after moving to Craven Cottage from Brentford in 1952".

(I've linked out Forum topics for Jimmy Hill and Tommy Trinder)

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
trinderhill.jpg
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: