South-East History Boards
March 30, 2017, 13:56:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lance Corporal Francis Lloyd Partridge  (Read 122 times)
Craggs

« on: March 05, 2017, 12:10:03 PM »

Francis Lloyd Partridge
Lance Corporal
Queen's Own Rifles of Canada
Born 1920
Died 1950
Buried in Hurstpierpoint New Cemetery, Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex, England

There were a huge number of Canadian servicemen stationed / billeted in Sussex during WWII.  Some of them stayed behind after the war ended - which would appear to be the case with Lance Corporal Francis Lloyd Partridge.

I don't know any more about him other than what is on his grave headstone, but maybe, if a relative or friend is doing a bit of ancestry research, possibly in Canada, then at least you can see his grave / headstone.

As the inscription on the headstone says  :

A VETERAN OF WORLD WAR II
         LEST WE FORGET

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
partridge.jpg
Craggs

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 06:56:24 AM »

Yesterday I tried to send a copy of the grave photograph to the website / webmaster for the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada , but I was blocked and electronically warned that their computer thought that I was a possible threat  Grin

I didn't give up and last night I sent an email and copy of the photograph to "The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada Regimental Museum and Archives" in Canada - when I looked at my emails this morning I had the following nice reply from Major (Ret'd) John M. Stephens, CD
--------------------------

Noel – Thanks very much for sending this to us and I’m sorry you had trouble doing it via the QOR website (which is badly in need of upgrading so don’t feel too badly about that.)

Partridge doesn’t ring a bell although with so many soldiers having served in the regiment, during WWII, that’s not too surprising really. But I am intrigued as to why he died there in 1950 – and so young. I did find him (11 months old) in a 1921 Census living with his family in Toronto. His father was apparently born somewhere in England but other than that, I don’t really know much at all. It will make an interesting research project!

Thanks again for taking the time to track us down and send this to us.

Cheers,

John

Major (Ret'd) John M. Stephens, CD
Curator
The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada Regimental Museum and Archives

That was a nice reply and I have replied saying that if I / we find out anything more on this side of the Atlantic then I will let him know.
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:55:33 AM »

All I could find was in the BMD Register:-
Died ¼ March 1950 Cuckfield District. Age 28 (so born 1922??)
Craggs

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 05:30:33 AM »

Thank you Alkhamhills, I have passed that on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: