South-East History Boards
May 27, 2017, 07:05:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lieutenant Jack Clinton Challen  (Read 92 times)
Craggs

« on: March 15, 2017, 17:57:16 PM »

Jack Clinton Challen
Lieutenant  R.N.R.

Died on the 25th May 1948  aged 28 years.

Buried in Newhaven Cemetery, Newhaven, East Sussex.

The wording on Lieutenant Challen's headstone is not easy to read - the inscription reads :

IN EVER LOVING MEMORY OF
      MY DARLING HUSBAND
Lt. JACK CLINTON CHALLEN  R.N.R.
WHO PASSED AWAY 25th MAY 1948
          AGED 28 YEARS
              "AT REST"

Sussex Agricultural Express - Friday 20 May 1949

In Memoriam.

CHALLEN - In loving memory of my darling husband, Lieut. Jack Clinton Challen, R.N.R., who passed away on May 25th, 1948 - always in my thoughts. - Gladys.

CHALLEN - In loving memory of my dear son, Lieut. Jack Clinton Challen, R.N.R., who passed away on May 25th, 1948 : also my dear husband, Harry Challen, who passed away July 4th, 1948. - always remembered. - From his wife and family.

Lieutenant Challen died five months after the "cut-off" date for the eligibility for a CWGC style headstone.  While I was posting his details I did wonder if his family would have wanted him to have such a headstone.  When I went to Newhaven Cemetery I was armed with my list of CWGC names -   Lieutenant Challen was not on the list - I just happened to see his name and rank.

The insert plaque at the top of Lieutenant Challen's headstone is an image of an Aircraft Carrier, taken from the front, as if you were sitting in a small boat with this huge warship sailing towards you - apologies for my photographic inability , but it is lovely headstone insert.

In the last photograph - the headstone on the left reads :

IN MEMORIAM
  HARRY CHALLEN
DIED 5th JULY 1948
 LILIAN, HIS WIFE
DIED 1st DEC. 1955

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
challen.jpg
challen2.jpg
challen4.jpg
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 21:10:18 PM »

Jack Clinton  Challen

Born 1919 Newhaven. Parents William Loveden Harry & Lilian
Married Gladys L M Durham ¼ Sept 1947, Lewes

Probate. Of 103 Parsonage Rd, Withington, Manchester. Died 25.5.1948 at 34 Evelyn Ave, Newhaven. Probate to Frank Gordon Challen, marine Engineer, & Charles Alexander Devereux, grocer. Effects £2346.

UK navy list:-
Temp Acting sub Lieut 29.10.1940- RNVR—temp officers serving under T.124X agreement
Temp Lieut 20.12.1943

Brother Frank Gordon also served as an officer RN in WW11-survived

In 1939 his parents,  and an uncle Frank  at 34 Evelyn Ave, Newhaven,. Father William Shipwright(railway maintenance) Frank a Marine & Aero Motor Engineer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: