South-East History Boards
May 24, 2017, 03:18:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lieutenant Commander Frederick Charles Bottomley  (Read 84 times)
Craggs

« on: April 16, 2017, 07:40:51 AM »

Frederick Charles Bottomley
Lieutenant Commander
Royal Navy

Died on the 18th July 1921  aged 30 years.

Buried in the churchyard of St. Mary Magdalene Church, South Holmwood, Surrey.

The Naval History Net website shows that Lieutenant Commander Bottomly died from "Illness" - that site gives his date of death as Tuesday 19th July 1921 and shows him attached to HMS Victory at Portsmouth :

Tuesday, 19 July 1921
Victory, Portsmouth
BOTTOMLEY, Frederick C, Lieutenant Commander, illness

The personal details which I have typed at the top of the post are taken from the CWGC site , although , on this occasion I have deliberately left out the "grave reference" stated by the CWGC - it has given me something to think about.  The CWGC details and comments for his grave are :

Cemetery:HOLMWOOD (ST. MARY MAGDALENE) CHURCHYARD
N.B.
Recent research has shown that Lieutenant Commander Bottomley is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a special memorial headstone to commemorate him as it is not possible to mark his actual grave.

When I went to St Mary Magdalen Church on Friday I was armed with my normal scribbled list of names and grave references, and having seen the comment on the CWGC site I wasn't expecting to see a headstone for Lieutenant Commander Bottomley.  What I saw was, as far as I can see, Lieutenant Commander Bottomley's grave - it appears that he is buried with his father.   I can't see another explanation for what I was looking at.......  or am I missing something ? ? ?

I can't find reference to his death or funeral in the newspaper archives.

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
bottom1.jpg
bottom2.jpg
bottom3.jpg
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 10:26:59 AM »

Name:   Frederick Charles Bottomley
Birth Date:   13 Apr 1891 Dorking
Enrolment Date:   15 May 1907

UK Navy Lists:-
1907. Midshipman 15.5.1907
1910. Sub Lieut 30.7.1910
1914 & 1919. Lieut 30.7.1912
1919. Flag Lieut  HMS Calliope
1920, July. Lieut HMS Calcutta
1921. Obituary Active List Lieut Commander 18.7.1921

18.4.1921. Arrived Southampton on SS Aquitania from New York a Lieut RN passengers were a mix of various occupations

From find a grave:-
“Casualty of the Great War, Frederick was a Lieutenant Commander in the Royal Navy. He was accepted for commemoration as war dead on 31st March 2012 and was formerly commemorated on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial and on the United Kingdom Book of Remembrance”
“Died 3 Portland Terrace, Southsea, Hampshire buried Thursday, 21 Jul 1921 aged 30. Service performed by Arthur M.J. Dainty”

Parents Charles David & Emily Mary. Charles in 1891 was a Retired Merchant.
See marriage to Vanda Marr Fairbairn 2.6.1919 (she died 1934)

Probate. Of 59 Courtfield Gardens & 42 Harcourt Terrace, both Middx. Died 3 Portland Terrace, Southsea. Probate to Villiers Frederick Caesar Hawkins, solicitor & Leonard Fosbrook Potter, Commander RN. Effects £ 17287.

Army & Navy BMD shows died Nursing Home, Southsea of Dis of nose(??-Disease), & Septicaemia, post operation, Sequel to Sinusitis 

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
bottomley 1.jpg
Craggs

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 20:43:38 PM »

Thank you alkhamhills............ there are quite a few other lines that you have opened up to explore  ,,,, and for that I thank you.  

The big question that I really would like to positively answer is... , without going on a Time Team episode,  did I photograph Lieutenant Commander Bottomley's resting place, grave and headstone ? ?

I think that I did.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: