South-East History Boards
May 01, 2017, 03:17:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gunner Leonard Weddell - suicide  (Read 46 times)
Craggs

« on: April 17, 2017, 07:03:56 AM »

Leonard Weddell
Gunner
Royal Artillery 303 Battery., 26 Searchlight Regiment
Service number 2057264

Died on the 9th February 1941

Buried in the churchyard of St. Mary Magdalene, South Holmwood, Surrey - grave Reference: North of Church. Grave 400.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Western Morning News - Wednesday 12 February 1941

SOLDIER SHOOTS HIMSELF.

A.T.S. Girl's Reply To Coroner.

WANTED TO BREAK ENGAGEMENT.

Giving evidence at a Seaton inquest yesterday on Leonard Weddell, a 21 year old gunner in the Royal Artillery, who was found shot on Sunday, Theresa Violet Agnes Harding, Kennington-lane, London, an 18 year old member of the A.T.S., told the East Devon Coroner (Mr. C.N. Tweed) that she had known Weddell since Christmas, but she had been thinking of breaking off their engagement.

On Friday she travelled to Seaton in the same railway carriage as hm.
The Coroner : Was there any dispute during the journey ?
Witness : We just spoke casually.
Was there any quarrel ? - No.
I notice in a letter you wrote to Weddell, you rather apologise for being in "one of those moods".  Do I gather from this that you did not say much to him on the way down ?  – I was rather indifferent but there was no quarrel.
Did you intend breaking off the engagement when you wrote the letter ? - I had been thinking of it.

WANTED TO BE FRIENDS.

Replying to further questions the witness said that on Sunday evening she told Weddell that she did not want to be engaged to him any more. "I asked", she said "if we could just be friends and he said it was no good.  We came back and he asked if I would keep his ring, no matter what happened.  I replied "Yes, certainly".
The Coroner : Did he say anything about not seeing you again ?
Witness : Yes.  I think he meant that he would not speak to me or take me out.

An Army medical officer said that he was called to Weddell's quarters and found him lying on the floor as the result of gunshot wounds.  A service rifle was between his legs with the muzzle pointing to his face, and a large wound on the left brow.  Death was due to laceration of the brain.

NERVOUS TEMPERAMENT.

An officer said that on one occasion he saw Weddell in the cookhouse waving his arms about, stuttering, and unable to speak coherently because he could not find the swill bin.  The R.M.S. pacified him.   William Thomas Collins, a soldier, said that Weddell was difficult "to get on with".  With the slightest provocation he would get into a violent temper.   The battery commander described Weddell as a very good soldier, with a nervous temperament and inclined to be excitable.

The Coroner recorded a verdict of "Suicide while the balance of the deceased's mind was disturbed".

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
weddell.jpg
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 09:28:25 AM »

Leonard Weddell

From find a grave:-
“From Mill Farm Cottages, Holmwood (he was from Devonshire) buried Monday, 17 Feb 1941. Service was performed by Harold J. Nichols”
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: