South-East History Boards
May 24, 2017, 12:51:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Private George Nalder  (Read 71 times)
Craggs

« on: May 14, 2017, 09:29:13 AM »

Private George Nalder
Service number  26057
Essex Regiment - Depot

Died on the 2nd December 1919  aged  29 years.

Buried in the churchyard of St. Bartholomew's Church, Horley, Surrey - grave reference , South West of Church

Son of George and Mary Nalder. Born at Newbury, Berks.

The family inscription on the bottom of Private Nalder's headstone reads : "GIVE PEACE IN OUR TIME , O LORD" and the CWGC 'Headstone Schedule" shows that this was commissioned by "Mrs. J. Nalder, Station Road, Horley, Surrey"  -- this is Julia Nalder who ran the local Horley fish and chip shop in Station Road.  I'm not sure what relation she is to Private Nalder.

She gave brief evidence into the death of Mr Frederick Holman of Horley who committed suicide.  His death is not connected to Private Nalder, it is just the only newspaper archive reference that I can find to the Nalder family of Horley.  Private Nalder is not commemorated on the Horley War Memorial.

Attached is a photograph of Private Nalder's headstone which I took last week.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
nalder.jpg
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 20:27:40 PM »

George Nalder
Born 20(or 26) 9.1890 Donnington, Berks
Medal Roll Card:- Awarded British Medal And Silver War Badge

Service Record:-
An Assistant when he attested 20.4.1915.
He 1st had a No 10985.
Discharged 15.2.1919 with TB. Address was 20 Chelsea St, Reading(with a brother & a sister).
Family form indicates Parents had died. He had 3 brothers & 2 sisters. Name Julia not mentioned
 Not awarded Victory Medal as he only served in India(not issued for those men)
Records in poor condition and lacking in detail.

ODD. He was also known as Silvan Nalder , which is how he appears on Census records and on Public Trees on Ancestry
In 1911 with his mother Mary(died 1913) and 2 brothers at Hill Cottage, Donnington. He was a Letter Carrier. Mother showed 11 children, 7 living.

Ah—his brother Henry Albert’s wife was Julia.  Henry died June 1906 and is buried also in Horley.
Craggs

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 06:58:27 AM »

Thank you for the above additional details - very interesting.  Next time I'm back in Horley I'll try to find Julia and/or Henry's grave.

I didn't know Private Nalder's first name - but now that you have provided it I have amended the topic title accordingly.

Grateful, as always.

NC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: