South-East History Boards
May 27, 2017, 07:21:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Sheppey curiosity..  (Read 111 times)
John
Editor

« on: May 16, 2017, 14:56:29 PM »

A curiosity - looking on Google Earth at their historic imagery, I noticed this on the 1960's photographs of Sheppey. Earlier images don't show it, neither do the later ones (the dates of the images are not accurate, so no idea exactly when the photo was taken).

What was it for? Drawing an imaginary line takes it over Clacton-on-Sea or thereabouts, unless the picture isn't orientated correctly with regards to north.

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg

I voted to leave the European Union..
Pete
Valued Contributor

We Wunt Be Druv

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:15:46 AM »

If it points towards Clacton am I right that it is Leysdown/Shellness area?  Range marker? although I can't think of any in use in that area at that time. 1960s was the time the film Battle of Britain was being made in that area- I remember seeing dog fights and filming around 1967 off Shellness, just a thought that it might be connected to that as a reference point for the aircraft or camera aircraft.

Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th
John
Editor

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 16:26:46 PM »

Thanks Pete, it's Shellness area, and I must admit that I hadn't thought about the offshore bombing range. Maybe PNK will see this topic and be able to shed some light on it..

I voted to leave the European Union..
Monkton Malc
Valued Contributor

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 17:34:34 PM »

Is there a little sign that says "You are here" at the end of it?  Smiley
Pete
Valued Contributor

We Wunt Be Druv

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 07:42:59 AM »

I think the range there was 1930s era and the AA range  near Ship on Shore (now the Sailing club) was closed by then. Back of my mind I'm sure I read about cue marks for the BoB filming

Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: