South-East History Boards
May 24, 2017, 12:57:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Major Cuthbert Bromley VC - from Seaford, East Sussex  (Read 55 times)
Craggs

« on: May 19, 2017, 17:10:34 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I was driving home from Newhaven and passed through Seaford.  As I drove out of Seaford's small shopping area I saw the town's war memorial on my left. I stopped for a couple of minutes, but , as I was in a rush I didn't manage to photograph the monument properly........ and to my dismay and embarrassment I now realise that I totally failed to see and photograph the "VC flagstone" commemorating Major Cuthbert Bromley.  I will have to go back - in the meantime here is a brief introduction passage about a recipient of the Victoria Cross from our Forum area - Major Cuthbert Bromley VC.

The following is from the CWGC site :

BROMLEY, CUTHBERT
Date of Death:13/08/1915 Age:36
Regiment/Service:Lancashire Fusiliers 1st Bn.
Awards: V C
Panel Reference: Panel 59 to 73 or 218 to 219. Memorial:HELLES MEMORIAL
Additional Information:Son of the late Sir John Bromley, C.B., and of Lady Bromley, of Sutton Corner, Seaford, Sussex.

Citation
An extract from "The London Gazette," No. 29985, dated 15th March, 1917, records the following:-"On the 25th April, 1915, headquarters and three companies of the 1st Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers in effecting a landing on the Gallipoli Peninsula to the West of Cape Helles, were met by very deadly fire from hidden machine guns, which caused a great number of casualties. The survivors, however, rushed up to and cut the wire entanglements, notwithstanding the terrific fire from the enemy, and after overcoming supreme difficulties, the cliffs were gained and the position maintained. Amongst the many very gallant offcers and men engaged in this most hazardous undertaking, Captain Bromley, Serjeant Stubbs, and Corporal Grimshaw have been selected by their comrades as having performed the most signal acts of bravery and devotion to duty.

This is another example of the VC being awarded as a result of recommendations by fellow comrades in the military action.  Major Bromley was wounded twice and two months after his VC action was evacuated to Egypt to recover.  Having spent some time in military hospitals he was certified as fit to return to active duty and embarked on the troopship "Royal Edward".  On the 13th August 1915 the ship was torpedoed and Major Bromley VC was one of those who died when the ship was sunk.

Major Cuthbert Bromley VC has no known grave and is commemorated on the Helles Memorial at Gallipoli.

The recommendation for the award of a Victoria Cross under the "rules for election by ballot" by ones comrades was first mentioned on the Forum by 'pomme homme' in the post about Colour Sergeant George Waller VC ( reply number 8 ) .  Something that a lot of readers, myself included, were not aware of.

I will be returning to Seaford very soon to photograph the town's war memorial properly.  
Craggs

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 07:24:59 AM »

I may have done Major Bromley a disservice when I suggested, in my opening post, that the VC was awarded under the "rules for election by ballot".   Major Cuthbert Bromley's award was made after his own personal gallantry was recognised and recommended by other men present during the actions - not as a result of ballot - two very different things.

Major Cuthbert Bromley VC

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Cuthbert.jpg
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 09:30:23 AM »

Name:   Cuthbert Bromley
Birth Date:   19 Sep 1878
Birth Place:   Sutton Corner, Seaford, Sussex
Death Date:   13 Aug 1915
Cemetery:   Helles Memorial
Burial or Cremation Place:   Gallipoli, Canakkale, Turkey

See pic of his VC Award

Soldiers Effects:- Drowned. £65.7.3 to widow Mrs Marie Louis Bromley
In 1919 a war Gratuity of £61 to Lady Marie Louis Bromley

Probate. Captain 1st Batt Lancashire Fusiliers, Died 13.8.1915 at sea. Admin to Marie Louis Bromley, widow. Effects £1659

Another Grant in 1939. Captain 1st Batt Lancashire Fusiliers, stationed at Nuneaton. Admin to the Public Trustee . Effects £2979

Lady Marie Louis Bromley was his mother. And his father Sir John Bromley

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
bromley 1.jpg
bromley 2 (2).jpg
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 09:34:43 AM »

When you read De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour  . One hell of a man.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: