South-East History Boards
May 27, 2017, 07:10:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ramsgate Municipal Airport  (Read 3117 times)
klassicdave
Newcomer

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 19:36:51 PM »

I remember the airport building around the late 70s, a few years before it was sadly removed. My friend Jon used to attend St Georges school and told me about the airport, so one weekend we rode our bikes over there and looked through the building. By this time it was just a shell with most, if not all of it's windows, just jagged remains. I wish that I hadn't been so young at the time as not too many years later I became, and still am, mad keen on art deco architecture. Looking at the images posted here, it truly was stunning in design and should have been preserved without question.
klassicdave
Newcomer

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 19:39:40 PM »

http://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1344.0;attach=20537;image

Is this the refuelling container which I have heard mentioned was there untill the 1980s ?
Monkton Malc
Valued Contributor

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 00:16:43 AM »

Yes that was still there in the 1980's.

At that time the industrial estate hadn't been built and it was all a grass field. It was used by Volkswagen to store rather a lot of Audi 100's and Passats. I worked for VW at that time and was always moving cars to and from there to Manston Road (where Tesco is now).

The fuel thingy was behind Page & Sons I think.
klassicdave
Newcomer

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 17:54:43 PM »

Thanks for responding Malc, it's a crying shame that the airport main building isn't still there as a landmark Embarrassed
Monkton Malc
Valued Contributor

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 21:51:10 PM »

I went to Dane Court School in 1969 which was not far from the airport, however, I went mostly by bus and never went past it while the buildings were there. It wasn't until I worked for VW and we started parking cars on it that I was told it used to be an airport.
It's amazing how much we take the information found on the internet for granted nowadays.
John
Editor

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »

Thanet Advertiser - Friday 04 October 1935

NOVEL CLUB HOUSE. RAMSGATE AIRPORT DEVELOPMENT.

Within the next few weeks work will be begun on the main building at Ramsgate Airport at Rumfields which is to cost £5,000.

The surface of the airport is one of the finest in the country, and it is fitting that the main building, which will comprise a restaurant, bar, booking hall and Customs facilities, should have distinctive qualities.

Mr. Whitney Straight, the millionaire racing motorist, whose company are operating the airport, told Mr. D. Pleydell Bouverie, the architect, that he wanted a building which would express its purpose. The architect has designed an attractive building with a long flat concrete roof, narrowing at each end like the wings of an aeroplane and surmounted with a look-out tower after the fashion of a pilot's cabin.

The walls will be independent of the roof structure to permit rapid alterations should they be found necessary from time to time.

The hangar has already been erected and is in use, and at the present time a temporary wooden building is being used as Customs offices.

The London-Ramsgate-Ostend service operated by Messrs. Hillmans Airways has done excellent business this summer, and a further increase is anticipated when the airport is officially opened after all the work has been completed next spring.

I voted to leave the European Union..
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: