South-East History Boards
May 22, 2018, 09:19:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastbourne Girl Guides WWII Roll of Honour  (Read 122 times)
Craggs

« on: February 15, 2018, 16:15:07 PM »

This topic came about as a result of researching the death of A.T.S. Section Leader Violet Margaret Hookham.

During WWII we saw the deaths of six women or girls who were either serving or former member of the Eastbourne Girl Guides.

The Roll of Honour commemorating these Girl Guides was created and unveiled in 1946.  The Eastbourne Gazette published a small article about this and carried a photograph with it.  The photograph in the British Newspaper Archives isn't very good but I have attached it at the bottom of this post.

Eastbourne Gazette - Wednesday 27 March 1946

THIS ROLL OF HONOUR in memory of the six Girl Guides of the Eastbourne division who lost their loves in the recent war, is at the Guides' divisional headquarters in South-stree.  It was unveiled by Canon Corbett recently and is the artistic work of Mrs. Clay.  The Guides commemorated are Violet Hookham , Peggy Harland , Joan Sherwood , Kathleen Davis , Lilian Lawrence and Amy Weller.

It would appear that this Roll of Honour went missing for some considerable time.  There is an article in the Eastbourne Herald, published on Friday the 6th November 2015 stating "A roll of honour to members of the Girl Guide movement who lost their lives during the Second World War has been uncovered".    The link to that article is - LOOKING BACK: Tribute to courageous teenager.

I don't know where the Roll of Honour is at the present time - I would like to find out and go and photograph it.  The newspaper article in the modern day Eastbourne Herald has a partial photograph - the majority of the article being about Peggy Harland who was brave enough to be awarded the Girl Guides equivalent of the VC.

There are already topics on the Forum about Violet Hookham and Peggy Harland.

I would like to find out more about :

Joan Sherwood

Kathleen Davis

Lilian Lawrence

Amy Weller

I have had a brief look through the CWGC index but didn't come out the other end with 100% certainties - my look was very brief.  Any assistance with adding to this topic would be very welcome, so please add what you can.

If we can also work out where the Roll of Honour is at the moment I will make efforts to make arrangement to photograph it.

Here is the (poor quality) image of the Roll of Honour from the original newspaper article.

Eastbourne Gazette - Wednesday 27 March 1946

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
GG1.png
Icare9
Valued Contributor

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 21:42:48 PM »

These appear to be the only matching CWGC records, presumably they had been Girl Guides or died in Eastbourne area....

SHERWOOD, JOAN BEATRICE. Civilian. Died 26/10/1942. Aged 10.
of 461 Seaside, Eastbourne. Daughter of Dvr. Henry Sherwood, R.E., and of Beatrice Maud Sherwood. Died at 461 Seaside.

DAVIS, KATHLEEN F. Private. Service Number W/139008. Died 04/10/1942. Aged 26
Auxiliary Territorial Service.
Daughter of Thomas Alfred and Catherine Mary Davis, of Langdon Hills.
Buried at LAINDON (ST. NICHOLAS) CHURCHYARD. Cemetery/memorial reference: Grave N.151.

LAWRENCE, LILIAN ROSE. Died 26/06/1944. Aged 30.
of Elm Cottage, Westcott Road, Dorking. Wife of George Philip Lawrence. Died at Elm Cottage.
(alternative is 60 years old)

WELLER, AMY LOUISA. Died 18/06/1944. Aged 27.
of 145 Kilburn Lane, Willesden, Middlesex. Daughter of William Weller. Died at The Guards Chapel, Wellington Barracks.
(Highest V1 casualty toll)

... but any further info will help clarify.
Craggs

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 07:13:14 AM »

Thank you Icare9

You are correct about Joan Beatrice Sherwood who " Died at 461 Seaside".   This is already a topic on this Forum - please see :

Air Raid at Eastbourne, 26th October 1942

It would be helpful to be able to see details of what is inscribed on the actual Roll of Honour.  I think that there is a 'date of death' on the right side next to each name.

I'll keep checking for the others.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: