South-East History Boards
May 24, 2018, 12:47:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bofors Towers locations  (Read 141 times)
PNK
Valued Contributor

« on: February 15, 2018, 22:51:48 PM »

The Airfield Research Group Forum is trying to locate the sites of all 81 Bofors Towers and in the last two week quite a number have been added  so known location sit (as of today) at 29.

https://www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/airfield-buildings-installations/571-bofors-anti-aircraft-towers

This forum has already had mention of these towers at West Malling (2), Gatwick, Kenley and Dunkirk. Others in the SE were at Brooklands (3). So far if I remember correctly the only unidentified location of known towers is West Mallings demolished one which was at or near Cuttering Wood.

The bigger question is; were there any more in Kent Surrey or Sussex? Some of the other locations included factories (Derby) ports (Great Yarmouth) and ordnance factories (Cheshunt and Holton Heath). This would suggest that places like Crayford (Vickers), Rochester (Shorts), Chatham (some boats) etc. should have qualified for one, but did they get any. There appears to be about three per site but not allt the locations have turned up three and one or two had four. I have been using "Britain From Above" oblique aerial views to search known areas but where we have no idea if an area had any at all this type of search is almost impossible.

Any help or pointers to other locations would be most welcome.

John
Editor

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 15:47:00 PM »

Have you got this one? I haven't checked the ARG topic as it's long  Cheesy

Triangulation (Trig) Station number ST/57/T117 or 31/57/T117. Trig name: Bofors Tower: tertiary mark. National Grid reference: ST(31)/36 (10 km square at 1:25000 scale) or ST 3360 (1 km square at 1:2500 scale)

I voted to leave the European Union..
PNK
Valued Contributor

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 19:29:41 PM »

Yes we have. That thread got very long very quickly. I think also that we have exhausted the permutations of Google Search so it is now the hunt for visual records or entries in records that are incorrect, e.g. Observation Tower and in one case Water Tank. The best source now will be childhood memories as that will narrow down an area to investigate.

I think we have also identified two that were in Chatham Dockyard but have yet to find photographic proof. They were at TQ 7652 7054 and TQ 7607 6991. The Google Earth 1960 layer shows them, albeit, slightly out of register. The Britain From Above website has limited coverage of that part of the dockyard and the ones that do cover it are none too clear.
PNK
Valued Contributor

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 12:17:14 PM »

After spending hours on the Britain From Above I found two more, both close to home. They were either side of the river Darent as it enters the Thames. One was at TQ 5366 7824 and the other at TQ 5425 7793. The Dartford side one was some yards behind the old Long Reach Tavern (demolished).

The Britain From Above frames were, EAW048379 (1953 with the flood) and EAW030545 (1950)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: