South-East History Boards
May 24, 2018, 12:57:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Littlebrook Power Station  (Read 30 times)
PNK
Valued Contributor

« on: April 29, 2018, 11:04:46 AM »

Last night (23:00 28/04/2018) we heard a load explosion and were a little surprised by it. It turned out it was demolition of part of the disused power station. It was carried out at night supposedly to reduce the impact on traffic. The bridge had also been closed for maintenance.

It took us by surprise because we hadn't seen anything on it beforehand. Sadly in these modern time the local newspaper is rarely seen and online news is only looked at when there is nothing else to do. None of our friends knew about it either so it wasn't just us.

I understand there will be more bangs in the next year or more as it is progressively demolished. It seems that power stations are like hospitals, all the ones you knew as a kid are gone and in the case of power stations no signs of any new ones! Maybe we don't use so much power these days? Or will it get shut off of those days when there is no sun, wind or waves? Hmm, must check on my Perkins Smiley

PS. The last demolition I saw was at Northfleet and that bang wasn't as loud.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: