South-East History Boards
May 24, 2018, 12:43:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wykehurst Place  (Read 53 times)
MichaelBully
Valued Contributor

« on: May 05, 2018, 21:24:53 PM »

Last Saturday I went to Bolney  with a friend of mine who has a great interest in 1970's horror films, to try and find Wykehurst Place, a Victorian mansion built like a Loire Valley Chateau .

We got lost in the woods and the mud but managed to reach it eventually and wander round the grounds and saw the outside of the house.
 A local chap we spoke to said that Canadian soldiers stayed there in World War 2.

Found an old Argus article which mentioned Wykehurst Place

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/5090432.TV_mansion_saved_from_bulldozer/

" From wartime heroes - both real and staged - to Hammer House of Horror and a famous TV odd couple, one of the most unusual buildings in Sussex has seen it all.

And fairytale-looking Wykehurst Park House in Bolney is quite a sight in itself.

The 105-room, 130-year-old mansion combines the splendour and stylings of a French chateau, a German schloss and a Gothic house of horror.

Its former owners have possessed ambitions as grand as the mansion's rising turrets and marble pillars, richly ornate rooms and 180 acres of surrounding parkland...

Controversial antiques dealer James Doyle, who died in 1995, can be thanked for saving Wykehurst from demolition and restoring it in the Seventies - even if his racist views won him few friends elsewhere.

Wykehurst has been home to Canadian soldiers preparing to join the D-Day landings and pretend British Expeditionary Force soldiers filming Richard Attenborough's 1969 film Oh! What A Lovely War.

Not surprisingly, its eerie, imposing architecture has also attracted the Hammer horror movie makers, who filmed shots for three movies here.

Wykehurst also appeared in the Michael Caine and Donald Pleasance Second World War epic The Eagle Has Landed in 1976 and Kirk Douglas' Holocaust 2000 the following year.

The many adverts filmed there included part of the Cinzano campaign combining bumbling sitcom star Leonard Rossiter with glamorous Hollywood actress Joan Collins..."

Bolney is the nearest village, and was a bit of a trek from Brighton, as there is one bus every two hours from 9 am - 6pm.

Found a trailer of 'The Legend of Hell House' which features 'Wykehurst Place' . Certainly quite an unusual building with something unnerving about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WZIbOzlbqI

Craggs

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 07:38:20 AM »

Wykehurst Place gets a brief mention on the Forum in the thread about the Bolney War Memorials

The building was designed and built for Henry Huth between 1871 and 1874 and the last member of the Huth family to reside there was Edward Huth.  He left Wykehurst Place in 1923 and my understanding is that for many years it was looked after by a caretaker and his wife and nobody else.

The Huth family were very well known in Sussex, Kent and Surrey and were great supporters of local causes. Louis Huth built the magnificent Possingworth Park in Cross-in-Hand, East Sussex (very close to where I live).  This is now The Holy Cross Priory.  Charles Frederick Huth owned Oakhurst Manor in Tunbridge Wells.

Wykehurst Place is not to be confused with Wakehurst Place which is a few miles away on the other side of Haywards Heath.  The two buildings and their respective histories are not connected - but you may find your computers do an autocorrect and search for Wakehurst rather than Wykehurst.
Craggs

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 13:20:17 PM »

A visit to Wykehurst Place by the Brighton and Sussex Natural History Society in 1881 ...............

Mid Sussex Times - Wednesday 13 July 1881

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
wyke1.png
wyke2.png
MichaelBully
Valued Contributor

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 16:27:40 PM »

Good afternoon Craggs

Thanks for the extra information, and yes had noticed the information on Bolney in the 'War Memorials' section.
Also had discovered the confusion between Wykehurst Place and Wakehurst Place .When my friend called round and suggested the day out, took a while
to plan as the search engines I used kept bringing up Wakehurst Place .

Would be great to see the inside of the house.

EDIT Forgot to mention, that I think that I've worked out which of the legendary 'Cinzano' adverts with Joan Collins and Leonard Rossiter was filmed at Wykehurst Place.  Will place it in the 'Non PC' thread.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: