South-East History Boards
May 24, 2018, 12:42:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Major Murray Kenneth Fitzgerald Waters  (Read 24 times)
Craggs

« on: May 11, 2018, 14:35:46 PM »

Major
WATERS, MURRAY KENNETH FITZGERALD

Service Number 32160

Died 06/05/1944  , Aged 38

Rifle Brigade

Son of Thomas Fitzgerald Waters and Amy Fitzgerald Waters; husband of Clare Fitzgerald Waters, of Hove.

Buried in Hove New Cemetery , Hove, East Sussex - grave ref : Block 10. Grave 18.

I took the attached photograph of Major Waters' headstone two years ago, in February 2016.  The photograph show that his headstone is quite weather worn, but I do know that the CWGC had recently replaced some of the other weathered CWGC headstones, so his may well have been replaced by now.

I have had a good look through the British Newspaper Archives for any reference to his death or funeral but have been constantly thwarted.  Each time I do a search, on any combination of his name and rank, all I get are newspaper articles about large water sources - major reservoirs, or major rivers ..... all sort of major waters.  If he does feature in any way in the newspaper archives then I can't find it, but I have tried.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Waters.jpg
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 19:53:01 PM »

Hi Craggs. Could  the surname be Fitzgerald-Waters?? all the family are so named

Murray Kenneth Fitzgerald-Waters
Born 1906
Married Clare A M Dean ¼ Dec 1938 Kensington.

On 7.7.1934 on SS Highland Brigade from London to Vigo. He was a Wine Shipper of 5 Mark Lane, EC4
On 9.9.1936 on SS Highland Chief (1st Class)from Lisbon to London. He was a Director of 5 Mark Lnae EC4
In 1937 with his mother Amy at 45 Evelyn Gdns Kensington(electoral Roll).

Probate. Of 27 Shirley Drive, Hove, Sussex. Admin to Clara Mary Fitzgerald-waters, widow, and Cynthia Txx Fitzgerald- Waters, spinster. Effects £9146
Craggs

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 20:09:06 PM »

Alkhamhills, as ever, you are a star.  The surname is indeed Fitzgerald-Waters.  

The attached notice in the newspapers shows Major Fitzgerald-Waters died at his home at 27 Shirley Drive, Hove, exactly as your research shows.  Although it doesn't show how he died it does count out a few possibilities.

The newspaper article has a slightly different second middle name but I don't think that makes a difference - you are still correct.

Once again.... thank you very much..... NC

The BNA index shows the newspaper article as being published in the Crawley and District Observer - Saturday 13 May 1944 but it is actually in the Sussex and Surrey Courier - Saturday 13 May 1944

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
FGW.png
FGW2.png
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: