South-East History Boards
May 24, 2018, 12:49:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Leading Seaman Alfred William Budgen  (Read 18 times)
Craggs

« on: May 12, 2018, 08:15:55 AM »

Leading Seaman
BUDGEN, ALFRED WILLIAM

Service Number C/JX258283

Died 21/11/1947

Royal Navy

Son of Albert and Elizabeth Budgen; husband of Florence Edith Budgen, of Hove.

Buried in Hove New Cemetery, Hove, East Sussex - grave ref : Block 2. Grave 1262.

Leading Seaman Alfred Budgen's CWGC headstone is a bit weather worn.  I took this photograph just over 2 years ago and I know that at that time the CWGC were in the process of replacing a number of their headstones in Hove New Cemetery, so Alfred Budgen may have a new one by now.  Also his headstone was leaning over quite a bit - I just straightened the photograph up for the Forum post.

The CWGC 'grave registration' and 'headstone' pages show that originally Leading Seaman Budgen's grave was marked by a 'private memorial' in the form of a kerb. The entries show that it was changed to a CWGC headstone sometime leading up to May 1957. The family inscription on the CWGC headstone reads "FREE FROM CARE AND PAIN, SEEING YOUR PEACEFUL FACE, COULD WE WISH YOU BACK AGAIN" .

The Naval History Net shows :

Friday, 21 November 1947
Royal Navy
 BUDGEN, Alfred W, Leading Seaman, C/JX 258283, died

I can't find reference to Leading Seaman Alfred William Budgen's death or funeral in the newspaper archives.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Budgen.jpg
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 20:34:16 PM »

Alfred William Budgen
Born 1906
Married Edith F Norris ΒΌ Mar 1932 Steyning.

In 1911 with parents & 2 brothers. At 31 Lennox Road Hove Aldrington Sussex. Father Albert was unemployed. Mother Elizabeth was a General Laundry Hand.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: