South-East History Boards
May 22, 2018, 09:21:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old cars..  (Read 16048 times)
John Chiltz
Prolific Contributor

« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2016, 08:38:03 AM »

Best I could get in Photoshop

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Barton Court, Longport, Canterbury - 1920 (Possibly).jpg

Photographers never die - they just go out of focus!
Craggs

« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2018, 07:47:08 AM »

In 1957 a Kreiger battery operated brougham made an appearance on the streets of Eastbourne.  This was a 2 ton battery operated car and this one was built in 1900.

Eastbourne Herald - Saturday 15 June 1957

GOING STRONG IN ITS 57th YEAR

A 1900 Krieger battery operated brougham will be seen in the streets of Eastbourne during next week, when the British Eletrical Power Convention is held here.  The vehicle will be used to convey important convention personalities to and from the Winter Garden and their hotels.

It is owned by Chloride Batteries Limited, Exide Works, of Swinton, Manchester, and is the only one of its kind in perfect working order in England.  During the recent petrol rationing the Krieger was brought out of semi-retirement to help in the drive save petrol.  It was used to provide a taxi and messenger service between the company's sales and publicity offices in London.  The Krieger was built in Paris at the turn of the century, and was for 30 years the town carriage ofthe Duke of Westminster.  It is fitted with two compound, four-pole Postel-Vinay motors, each of which is harnessed to a front wheel.

The motor is mounted on a cradle which pivots at the same time as the axle of the wheel, and it drives the wheel by means of small pinion gearing on the large fixed wheel on the hub. The wheel and pinion have helical teeth.   A drum-type controller provides seven forward speeds without the use of resistances, plus coasting, reverse, regenerative and emergency brake positions.

The two 40-volt batteries, comprising 40 Exide-Ironclad IMVI3D cells, have a capacity I93 ampere-hours at the five-hour rate, enabling the car to travel in excess of 45 miles per charge.  The maximum speed is approximately 18-20 m.p.h..  Although handicapped, therefore, on the open road, the brougham handles extremely well in town traflic.  With an all-up weight of nearly two tons, it is often the superior in acceleration to cars less than a tenth of its age.

The newspaper article also carries a photograph of the car - unfortunately it is very dark and I can't make it any lighter.  The caption with the photo reads

"IN EASTBOURNE NEXT WEEK.  Here is the 1900 Kreiger battery brougham which is Eastbourne next week.  Lord Brabazon, the famous pioneer, racing motorist and airman, steps from the vehicle, and standing beside it is Sir John Dalton, who was president of the British Electrical Power Convention last year"

I've found a copy of a picture of a 1904 Kreiger which I think is quite similar to the one in the photograph - it is NOT the one in the photograph but I've attached it so you get an idea of what they looked like.  The chauffeur sat at the front on the outside and the steering wheel went directly vertically down to the axle.  The chauffeur's boots can just be seen in the poor original photo.

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
brabazon.png
example.png
kreiger1.png
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: