South-East History Boards
May 24, 2018, 12:58:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'New Moss Rose', Ramsgate  (Read 2457 times)
John
Editor

« on: January 16, 2012, 21:13:52 PM »

A crew photograph for the vessel New Moss Rose, photo taken by Fred Viner of Ramsgate, possibly 1920's. New Moss Rose appears to have been a fishing boat of some sort - more details would be good!  Smiley

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
New Moss Rose.jpg

I voted to leave the European Union..
Monkton Malc
Valued Contributor

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 22:28:52 PM »

It was built in 1899 at Galmpton, Torbay and named Royal Sovereign (Off No 110314 42 tons).

It was later re-named New Moss Rose.

In 1921 she was registered at Ramsgate in the ownership of William Thomas
Watson, Ramsgate and managed by Philip S Emett, Ramsgate
John
Editor

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:39:58 AM »

Smiley

mazzie74
Newcomer

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 09:59:15 AM »

Hi,

My Gt-Gt Grandfather was called John Alfred Stupples (1872-1936).

He and his brothers were all Ramsgate fishermen.

His brothers were called:

William George Stupples (1866-1892) - he is listed as dying at sea, but when I bought his death certificate it states he died of Phthisis at 113 Plains of Waterloo! strange.
George Edmund Stupples (1875-1943).
Richard Charles Stupples (1879-1969) - he moved to Liverpool.
Herbert Sidney Stupples (1886-1975).

In World War I, the 4 surviving brothers were drafted into the RNVR and were in charge of minesweepers that had been converted from trawlers.

Their nephews (surnames Danton and Lee - sons of their 2 sisters) moved to Hull to fish on the Hull trawlers.

Joseph John Lee was killed in WWI in 1917 when his trawler, the "Shakespeare" was torpedoed and sunk.

Stanley George Sayer Lee and his cousin Frederick George Danton were both lost in the North Sea in 1936 when their trawler, the Admiral Collingwood sunk in heavy seas.

Edward Richard Arthur Lee died in a hospital in Bodø, Norway in 1937 after catching an infection on his trawler.

John Alfred Stupples owned the New Moss Rose, and used to do pleasure trips around Ramsgate.

Thanks,

Darin (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)
mazzie74
Newcomer

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 10:00:51 AM »

John Alfred Stupples (1872-1936) and his "mate" affectionately known as "Moggie," apparently because his surname was Catt.

They are on board John Alfred's ship, the New Moss Rose.

Thanks,

Darin (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
John Alfred Stupples & Mr_ Catt aka Moggie.jpg
chasg
Valued Contributor

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 11:53:57 AM »

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20N/slides/New%20Moss%20Rose-02.jpg
John
Editor

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 20:21:45 PM »

Thanet Advertiser - Friday 30 June 1933

NEW MOSS ROSE ABLAZE

FORMER RAMSGATE PLEASURE YACHT DESTROYED.

For many years a favourite sailing yacht among visitors to Ramsgate, the cutter-rigged New Moss Rose was burned to the water line in Osborne Bay, near Cowes, Isle of Wight, on Wednesday.

The New Moss Rose, which was commanded at Ramsgate by Skipper Stupples, left the town two years ago for Weymouth, where she was running for pleasure trips in Weymouth Bay.

It appears that she was sailing in Osborne Bay on Wednesday with her crew of three on board when she caught fire. The vessel, which was built entirely of wood, was quickly at the mercy of the flames and her plight was seen by the captain of the paddle pleasure steamer Prince of Wales, which belongs to the Isle Wight and South of England Royal Mail Steam Packet Co.

The Prince of Wales hurried to the rescue and in the nick of time a boat was lowered and the crew taken off. A few moments later the New Moss Rose was ablaze from bow to stern and was completely burned out in a very short while.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: