Author Topic: Ships engagements in WW2  (Read 36 times)

Offline Meg

• Newcomer
Ships engagements in WW2
« on: February 26, 2024, 07:57:30 am »
Hi.   I have managed to obtain my Dad's Service Record from the Royal Navy Research Team with the names of the Ships he served on during WW2. Does anyone know how to look up the individual ship names to try and establish what engagements they were involved in.  He was on HMS Winchelsea, HMS Adventure, HMS Fox, HMS Hornet, HMS Bacchante and HMS Emerald.   I have been lucky finding what happened to a Motor Torpedo Boat he was on which was sunk by gunfire from German surface vessels off of the Norwegian coast on 26th October 1943 which sinking he survived.

Offline Pete

• Prolific Contributor
  • We Wunt Be Druv
    • Bishopstone Tide Mills
Re: Ships engagements in WW2
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 08:26:40 am »
HMS Hornet was a Coastal Forces base at Gosport not a vessel . I may be wrong but I think you will have to google each vessel name and see what info is (or isn't) posted
Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th

Offline Meg

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 13:23:05 pm »
ok thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Meg

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 13:51:16 pm »
Just looked this ship up again and yes it was a Warship during World War II.

Offline Pete

• Prolific Contributor
  • We Wunt Be Druv
    • Bishopstone Tide Mills
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 14:01:13 pm »
From https://www.coastal-forces.org.uk/history/   --HMS Hornet was named in 1925 and initially commissioned in January 1926, temporarily closing in 1934 to be re-commissioned for World War II on the 20 December 1939. During the war years, HMS Hornet and the adjacent Haslar Gunboat Yard, provided maintenance and logistic support for Coastal Forces craft and it became familiar territory to many who served in Coastal Forces.
 The last seagoing vessel was a destroyer  1911- 1921

Offline Pete

• Prolific Contributor
  • We Wunt Be Druv
    • Bishopstone Tide Mills
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 14:14:26 pm »
HMS Bacchante was also a shorebase in Scotland. It doesn't necessarily mean your father was on the base, could well have been on coastal craft operating out of those bases

Offline PNK

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 14:29:50 pm »
I can't recall if this was mentioned before but every "Stone Frigate" had to have a floating vessel with the same name, even if it was a rowing boat or fuel barge. Does this still apply in the modern RN?

Offline Pete

• Prolific Contributor
  • We Wunt Be Druv
    • Bishopstone Tide Mills
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 14:56:53 pm »
The wording of the Naval Discipline act mentioned only vessels so as you say a small craft (trawler or ML) would also  carry the name. Probably not the case now as there is a Military Court Martial establishment I think in Wiltshire. When I was transcribing the wartime Newhaven Harbour  logs it caused me several headaches when HMS Forward sailed out and was logged in by her pennant number or worse still her civvy name plus the fact  they seemed to rotate craft fairly often