Author Topic: Saxonbury Tower, Frant.  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Weebouy

• Prolific Contributor
Saxonbury Tower, Frant.
« on: March 28, 2014, 21:08:43 pm »
Completed in 1828. Built by the peasants of Henry 2nd Earl Abergavenny of Eridge Castle. Legend has it that he had it built in order to view his lands which were considerable and extended almost as far south as Eastbourne at one time. I lived about a mile from it and the conical top protruding from the trees on Saxonbury Hill made it known to my sons as the 'Wizards Tower'.

Offline Craggs

• Prolific Contributor
Re: Saxonbury Tower, Frant.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 14:06:32 pm »
You can still see the top of the tower as you drive South on the A267 from Royal Tunbridge Wells towards Frant.  I always wondered what it was and intended to go and see it - but having found your post and video I don't have to.

Every time I drive through Frant ( which is about once a week ) I see "The Abergavenny Arms" public House and often wondered what Wales had to do with East Sussex........ now I know ......... thank you

This has saved me a big walk to the top of a very high hill

Offline Weebouy

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 21:29:08 pm »
Craggs - if you bypass Frant and head for Frant Station which is situated at Bells Yew Green, you will spot the 'Brecknock Arms'. This is named after one of the Abergavenny's - the Earl of Brecknock - obviously a Welsh connection somewhere.
Bob.

Offline seletin

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 11:11:50 am »
I remember this from many years ago.  A beautiful tower, tall and slim, slowly decaying in a sylvan setting.  You could get in but the spiral staircase had been demolished for the first 15 feet or so; with a ladder you could make it. 

A recent visit and all had changed: well refurbished but now used as a mobile transmitter and well and truly sealed up.  Surrounding trees and rhododendrons cleared too.  But it's still there, which is good.