South-East History Boards
May 27, 2017, 07:20:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HMS Magnificent (1893-1921)  (Read 962 times)
John
Editor

« on: May 16, 2012, 08:58:53 AM »

HMS Magnificent, one of nine Majestic class battleships built for the Royal Navy, was laid down at Chatham Dockyard on 18th December 1893 and launched almost a year to the day later. She entered service in 1895 with the Channel Fleet, remaining with the fleet through its subsequent reorganisation into the Atlantic Fleet. In 1905, an explosion caused the deaths of 18 men but she remained in service until 1906, after which she underwent a refit. HMS Magnificent was a guard ship on the Humber when World War I broke out, and was then transferred to similar duties at  Scapa Flow as a guard ship.

In 1915, she was converted to a troopship for use in the Dardanelles episode and then returned to home waters. 1917 saw her conversion to an ammunition ship, which role she served for the next four years before decommisioning and scrapping.

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
290.JPG
291.JPG

I voted to leave the European Union..
John
Editor

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:57:37 AM »

More images of HMS Magnificent. The first two are stamped  with the photographer's name - Jacques Moll, Chatham - so I assume those pictures were taken there.

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
292.JPG
293.JPG
294.JPG

John
Editor

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 11:36:20 AM »

Western Gazette - Friday 21 December 1894

LAUNCH OF THE MAGNIFICENT. THE LARGEST WARSHIP AFLOAT.
This first-class barbette battleship was on Wednesday floated out of dock at Chatham, the ceremony being performed by Countess Spencer. The construction of the vessel was begun just a year ago, and has been advanced at a speed unparalleled in the history of the building of warships. The Magnificent is 390 ft. long and 75ft. broad, with a mean draught of 27ft. 6in., and a displacement of 14,900 tons. Her maximum estimated speed with forced draught will be 17½ knots. The gun armament will include four 12in. breech-loading guns, 12 6in. quick-firing guns, 16 12-pounder quick-firing guns, two 12-pounder boat and field guns, 12 3-pounder quick-firing guns, and eight Maxim guns. There will be four submerged torpedo-discharges, and one above-water tube at the stern. The armour varies from 14in. to 8in. on the sides and citadel, and is 6in. on the casemates.

Pete
Valued Contributor

We Wunt Be Druv

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 11:54:37 AM »

Although built in record time her fit out took another year and she finally left Chatham 17/12/1895 commanded by Captain Charles J. Barlow, D.S.O.
Evening Express & others 12/1895

Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: