South-East History Boards
May 24, 2017, 20:37:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fossils  (Read 16145 times)
Man of Kent1
Valued Contributor

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 16:13:07 PM »

Is that all you've got to show for your day out yesterday, John?
John
Editor

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2013, 16:21:20 PM »

Yup  Shocked

When we descended the steps to the beach and walked along to the base of the cliffs, it was quite a strange experience. Literally dozens of fossil hunters all hammering away at various blocks and nodules, with the odd cry of glee and half-hearted jig of excitement coming from some of them. I'd brought my trusty hammer, so we all tried doing the same as the others.. obviously they all knew what they were looking for, because none of our lumps yielded anything apart from... chalk  Grin

Did spot a couple of impressions of bivalves in chalk, and I think a certain young lady found the impression of an ammonite in flint, but apart from that the rest of the time there was spent trying to avoid looking at the grotesque old men sunbathing in Speedos, and the equally grotesque old women 'getting their baps out'.

I voted to leave the European Union..
Man of Kent1
Valued Contributor

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 16:46:45 PM »

Ha ha Grin! !  You should have come over here for the excitement of the maiden run of my new garden gadget  Wink ...........................
Ron Stilwell
Valued Contributor

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 12:04:36 PM »

Two views of a rather nice solitary coral from the Thanet Chalk. These are absolutely tiny, but look for the pale brown staining in the chalk, usually pointing towards a fossil of coral or bryozoa.
It could have been further cleaned by dropping distilled vinegar on it for a short time.  This eats away the chalk, but it also eats away at the fossil at a slower rate so don't leave it on too long!  Rinse right away.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
solitarycoral.jpg
Ron Stilwell
Valued Contributor

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 17:43:49 PM »

A nice section of Gault Clay with numerous fossils recently found by the Scott family of Ramsgate on a trip to Copt Point in Folkestone.   The Gault is Lower Cretaceous Period (Upper and Middle Albian).

Gault01.jpg
Man of Kent1
Valued Contributor

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 22:54:12 PM »

That's an impressive group of fossils to have found, Ron!
Ron Stilwell
Valued Contributor

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 22:59:25 PM »

That's pretty average for Copt Point.  A great fossil location.  It was the first visit there for the Scott family.  A couple of dinosaur mad lads, apparently really enjoyed themselves.
Ron Stilwell
Valued Contributor

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 10:20:04 AM »

This is a close-up of the Ptychodus polygyrus, from Ramsgate, posted a while ago.

pty02.JPG
Ron Stilwell
Valued Contributor

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »

This is a part of one tooth of the Ptychodus, which seems to have been bitten after the shark died.  I don't imagine dead sharks stay whole for long after they die.

ptychodus03small.jpg
John
Editor

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2015, 15:45:16 PM »

In the roof of the tunnel system at Fan Bay Battery, Dover. How many times have I walked under it and not seen it?

FBB Fossil.JPG

Ron Stilwell
Valued Contributor

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2015, 20:40:02 PM »

Several things going on here John.  Difficult to tell without sizes but probably part of a spiny cockle, perhaps an Inoceramus bivalve, but maybe a Pectin (scallop type).  Also contemporary drilling of the shells.
John
Editor

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2015, 20:53:14 PM »

Thanks Ron. I didn't think to add something for scale, but going by memory it was about the size of an average adult male hand.

Ron Stilwell
Valued Contributor

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2015, 23:20:59 PM »

Something slightly different, found in North Kent.

A crystal of Selenite.  Calcium sulfate dihydrate, with the chemical formula CaSO4•2H2O.
From the London Clay at Warden Point, Isle of Sheppey.  Found by Andy Temple.

It looks a bit like quartz, but is warm to the touch, and the surface can be scratched by a finger nail.  In the gypsum family.

selenite 01.jpg
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: