South-East History Boards
July 21, 2017, 07:53:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AUXILIARY UNIT of 7th. (LYMINGE) Kent H. G. Bn.  (Read 2608 times)
John
Editor

« on: May 28, 2012, 10:36:53 AM »

HOME GUARDS EMPLOYED WITH 12 CORPS OBSERVATION UNIT

7th. (LYMINGE) Kent H. G. Bn.

Sturmey F.         The Kennels, Elham
Boughton F.G.     Oak Cottage, Elham
Baker F.S.          Denmark House, Elham
Judges P.W.        Yew Tree Fm, Stelling Minnis
Sinca A. (?)        Yew Tree Farm, Stelling Minnis
Terry G.H.          Gt. Exted Farm, Elham
Castier R.P. (?)    Derringstone Poultry Fm, Barham
Mount J.W.S.      Hode Farm, Canterbury
French F.J.         Heartsdelight Fm, Kingston
Helbling F.J.        Oakleigh, Bekesbourne, Cant'y
Allnutt F.            Palmstead Hill, Canterbury
Pellett C.G.         Hode Farm, Bekesbourne
Higgs H.G.          Sth. Barham Fm, Barham
Lines C.G.           Wootton, Nr. Canterbury
Hawkes W.E.       The Cottage, Selstead, Dover
Hobbs E.W.         Shelvin Lane, Wootton, Nr Cant'y
Philpott W.P.       Newlands Cottage, Selsted, D'ver
Hobbs K.A.          Woodland Cottage, Selsted
Hobbs R.W.         Stone Cottage, Swingfield
Aggis W.R.          Lyndon Hall, Lyminge
Wallis W.M.         Oakleigh, Bekesbourns (sic), Cant'y

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
P3030017.JPG

I voted to leave the European Union..
carmsh84
Newcomer

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 07:43:19 AM »

Hi John

H. Godfrey Higgs (listed in this unit) was my great uncle. I was wondering if you, or anyone else, has any further information on him or any photos?

I found this website which lists him as well
http://www.kentauxiliaryunits.org.uk/kent-patrols-and-operational-bases/canterbury-to-the-coast/bekesbourne-patrol/

But that link says he was part of the Bekesbourne Patrol, and you say Lyminge - can you tell me the difference please?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Carmen
John
Editor

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 07:55:40 AM »

Hi Carmen, welcome along. Thanks for that link, it makes fascinating reading!

I'm not knowledgeable about the Home Guard or the Aux Units - I assume that the members of the Bekesbourne Patrol were just a small part of the 'regular' Lyminge Battalion. Hopefully someone with more knowledge (Ron Stillwell or Alysloper) will be able to elaborate if they read this?

I voted to leave the European Union..
alysloper
Contributor

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 02:21:19 AM »

Hi & welcome

The "7th" refers to the Lyminge battalion of the Kent Home Guard i.e. they would have worn "KT7" shoulder patches. KT7 covered...er Lyminge but also parts of Romney Marsh & Folkestone. I assume that some of the Auxiliary unit might have been recruited from outside of the area covered by KT7. I would have to defer to Ron on this?

thanks
Ian
alysloper
Contributor

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 18:13:26 PM »

After a look at the map, I guess that 7th Kent remit was guarding an area south of Canterbury down to the coast west of Folkestone, which would encompass Lyminge & Bekesbourne.
Something  I have never seen is a map showing how Kent was divided up amongst the various Kent HG battalions?

thanks
Ian
Philio81
Newcomer

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 21:13:04 PM »

Hello Carmsh84,

Godfrey Higgs was part of "Swede" patrol as that site says he joined the Auxiliarys on 05/06/1940 so was in it from early on in the units Existence (the units in Kent had the cover name "12 Corps Observation Unit"). George Pellet and Jack french who were also in his patrol have done a couple of recorded audio interviews and also bits in newspapers with regards to their involvement in the Auxiliarys. I do have them somewhere will try and dig them out for you. "Swede" was based out of Bekesbourne the list John has put on here groups men up over quite large areas even though it classes it as Lyminge which has probably caused the confusion. The area commander for that part of Kent was a man named John Marchant. His area covered from Ash to Hawkinge and inland up to Barham he had 9 patrols under his command including "Swede". You can see his fellow patrol men are also on the list. The patrol didn't seem to have a leader as such but the two main men were Jim Mount and Rich Castier (Rich was appointed Lieutenant in November 1941 whilst still in the patrol. He left to join the services in 1944 he also has links to the Special Duties Section)

Patrol Members were.
James Mount      
Lt. Rick Castier   
Jack French      
Godfrey Higgs   
Strib Helbling   
Freye Allnutt
George Pellett

Heres a quote from George Pellet about Godfrey.
'This commando bloke was giving us lessons in unarmed combat in a barn and he had one of the unit Godfrey on his back a couple of times. Godfrey said he hadn't been prepared. 'If i was prepared,' he said, 'you wouldn't get away with it quite so easy!' 'Yes, i would,' said the commando. So they walked around each other for a little while and all of a sudden, the commando made a grab and Godfrey grabbed him round the chest and threw him against the barn wall. 'Bugger!' said the commando. 'That's enough trouble from you!

Phil
carmsh84
Newcomer

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 10:28:26 AM »

Oh thank you very much everyone for your information! Most interesting!

Has anyone had any luck with the group photo on the page i pasted?

thank you Smiley
Philio81
Newcomer

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 18:49:46 PM »

Hello again,

I think i have a copy of it and i think i may well have a photo of Godfrey will go through my stuff at weekend to see if i can find them : )
Man of Kent1
Valued Contributor

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 23:13:02 PM »

Another *quote from George Pellet:

'We had training under fire and one bloke got shot.  We came to a gateway and there were two hurdles up in the gateway. There were snipers on the other bank and they couldn't shoot down to us because their guns were on fixed tripods but they could shoot bits off the tops of the hurdle.  We were told 'if you keep below the hurdles, you're safe'. So as we were crawling across, we'd hear 'wheeeee' over our heads. One bloke got scared and he got up and ran.  Silly bugger. They killed him stone dead'

*'Forgotten Voices of the Blitz and the Battle for Britain', Joshua Levine (Ebury Press, 2006)

Man of Kent1
Valued Contributor

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 23:30:20 PM »

The 'SWEDE' AU patrol operated mainly in the Bridge area and *James Mount, a fruit farmer of Little Barton Farm, was their patrol leader.
Both he and George Pellett were volunteer firewatchers in Canterbury.
Mount also ran the Canterbury Cadet Force and, according to his daughter Mrs. Anne McKiver, hinted to his wife and children of his 'Secret Army' connection but without giving anything important away except to say that he might have to 'disappear' for a while'!
He even took his children to the firing range to teach them how to shoot with a pistol - 'just in case'!
The Operational Base for the 'SWEDE' group was in Gorsley Wood, a large wooded area near Pett Bottom.

*Later Sir James W S Mount, CBE, a Director of S.W. Mount & Sons.  He became the Chairman of the Horticultural Advisory Committee, Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food and was also on the Governing Body of the East Malling Research Station 1960 - 1980.
Born in 1908, Sir James died in 1994, survived by his widow of his second marriage, Lady Patricia Jane Mount, nee Crichton, (1920 - 2004).
Here are a couple of photos showing Sir James (and his large, hairy dog!), and of him and his wife chatting to HRH Princess Ann, both taken on the occasion of the latter's visit on 13 September 1987 to Mount's fruit farm and packing sheds  (later the Barton Industrial Estate) when she also declared open the new access road from the New Dover Road, naming it 'Appledown Way'.
I briefly met Sir James in the early 1980's at a private garden party in the grounds of Little Barton Farm, which is but a stone's throw from my humble dwelling, and which is now owned by a famed, retired military man of my acquaintance for whom I am carrying out some research.
(Photos courtesy of a member of another site.)

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Sir James & Lady Patricia Mount(2).jpg
Sir James Mount - 13Sept87(1).jpg
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: