South-East History Boards
May 28, 2017, 00:12:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Dutch collaborator at Margate, 1942  (Read 2786 times)
Ron Stilwell
Valued Contributor

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 12:08:38 PM »

In September, 1942 Pieter Schipper was being held in somewhere called Camp 020.  The following report comes from Liddel's Diary (MI5):
"The Royal Victoria Patriotic School reports two spies, Dykstra and Grootveld, who arrived in a party of twelve Dutch escapees.  Pieter Schipper, who is already in Camp o20 and who gave us valuable information, has recognised these people as German agents from Ymuiden.  Grootveld appears to have communicated with one of the ISOS trawlers which has recently been operating in Skategatt."
(The Royal Victoria Patriotic School was used by MI5 in the Second World War as a clearing house for aliens, called the London Reception Centre.  It was run by the later discredited Colonel Pinto)
redavids
Newcomer

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 02:36:00 AM »

My father was David Davids, one of the passengers on this ship.  My father had no knowledge of the espionage activities of Piet Schipper and believed that he was innocent.  My father was eternally grateful for the opportunity to escape by this means, because he would otherwise certainly have ended up in a concentration camp and may not have survived.  The journey was extremely hazardous and was saved from allied attack by the bad weather.  On arrival they anchored in the middle of a minefield off Margate.  I have more information from my father's diary if this is of interest.
RobinWPay
Newcomer

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 10:58:40 AM »

Dear Mr. Davids,
I replied to you by pm for more info on your father and my grandfather.
Kind Regards, Robin Pay
@moderator John: I was quoted without my permisson by a journalist named David Tremain in his book Rough Justice. Would love to speak to this bloke!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: