South-East History Boards
April 28, 2017, 11:21:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Womens Police - Aux. Service  (Read 1187 times)
John Chiltz
Prolific Contributor

« on: November 09, 2012, 15:18:09 PM »

Can anyone put any information to either of the photos please - believe them to have been taken in Kent - John

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Womans Aux. Service.jpg
Womans Police Force.jpg

Photographers never die - they just go out of focus!
Pete
Valued Contributor

We Wunt Be Druv

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 16:05:29 PM »

Womens Auxillary Service was named that from 1921, Gift shop might indicate the date of the photo as being during the General Strike. The woman on the left top pic and on the right bottom look the same and look very like photos of Commandant Mary Allen, She was from hastings and a one time suffragette.

Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th
John
Editor

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 16:15:14 PM »

..look very like photos of Commandant Mary Allen, She was from hastings and a one time suffragette.

An interesting character!  http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/history/maryallen.htm

I voted to leave the European Union..
Pete
Valued Contributor

We Wunt Be Druv

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 16:22:17 PM »

Especially the Fascism interest-

Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th
John Chiltz
Prolific Contributor

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 16:32:03 PM »

Thank you John & Pete - have had these pics for some time good to put the history to them  -John

Photographers never die - they just go out of focus!
John
Editor

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 18:33:54 PM »

Following the earlier brief discussion on Mary Allen, here's a couple of photo's of the grave of her predecessor. Margaret Damer Dawson was born at Hove on 12th June 1873, and at one time was the, err, 'close friend' of Mary Allen. She retired as Commandant in 1919, being replaced by Mary, but died of a heart attack at her home in Lympne just a year later. She is buried in Lympne Churchyard.

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
011.JPG
012.JPG

I voted to leave the European Union..
Saklat
Newcomer

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 16:24:43 PM »

Womens Auxillary Service was named that from 1921, Gift shop might indicate the date of the photo as being during the General Strike. The woman on the left top pic and on the right bottom look the same and look very like photos of Commandant Mary Allen, She was from hastings and a one time suffragette.

She didn't actually come from Hastings:
"Mary Allen, the daughter of the manager of the Great Western Railway, was born in Cardiff in 1878. Educated at Princess Helena College in Ealing, she joined the Women's Political and Social Union (WSPU) after meeting Annie Kenney. Her father gave her an ultimatum to either give up her involvement in the suffragette movement or to leave the house. She left but her father continued to support her financially.............

In February 1912 she became organizer of the Hastings branch of the WSPU and in early 1914 [elsewheere, "organizer in Eastbourne, Bexhill, and Hastings and St Leonards] she replaced Lucy Burns as organizer in Edinburgh."
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Wallen.htm

Cheers
chuffer
Contributor

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 09:38:08 AM »

It is only recently I have been able to discover the names of the ladies that my late wife's grandmother was housekeeper too.  The only snippet of information I have held for many years is that the two people were London policewomen who had a house (Danehill Lodge) at Lympne where my wife's grandmother was housekeeper.

Whether the two ladies were Margaret Damer Dawson and Mary Allen, or Mary Allen and Helen Tagart I don't know.

From what I have recently discovered, Margaret Dawson received permission from the head of the Metropolitan Police Force to set up the Woman Police Volunteer Force, which she did using her own money.  One of the reasons for so doing was because both ladies liked dressing in masculine clothes, which they could do by wearing the very striking police uniform....again which Margaret Dawson paid for.

The two ladies were passionate about woman's rights and about the plight of many ill-educated young woman who found themselves in the unfortunate position of having a child whilst unmarried, a position my wife's grandmother found herself in which is most probably how she came to be housekeeper for them.

I came across this Pathe film yesterday.  http://www.britishpathe.com/video/in-memory-of-their-founder/query/policewomen+hythe

I recognise the building as being situated at the corner of Marine Parade and Twiss Road in Hythe.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: