Author Topic: Captain John Tailford MC  (Read 925 times)

Offline John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
Captain John Tailford MC
« on: December 29, 2012, 20:01:05 pm »
TAILFORD, JOHN WILSON
Date of Death:22/05/1917
Regiment/Service:Royal Flying Corps and Border Regiment
Awards:M C
Grave Reference W. D. 4.
Cemetery DOVER (ST. JAMES'S) CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of John and Jane Eleanor Tailford, of Tynemouth, Northumberland; husband of Elsie Marion Tailford, of 20, Delaware Mansions, Maida Vale, London.

Dover Express - Friday 25 May 1917

FLYING OFFICER KILLED. On Tuesday morning an inquest was held by the East Kent Coroner on the body of Captain Tailford, M.C., who was killed in a flying accident the previous day. Major William Ackland, Royal Flying Corps, said that the body was that of Captain John Wilson Tailford, M.C., R.F.C., a flight commander, aged 24 years. He had been a pilot since August, 1916. He had earned the Military Cross before he took to flying. He was flying a biplane, and the same machine as the previous evening, the 20th inst., with Lieut. Hughes, the same officer who was in the accident. It was nearly a new machine, and had been in nearly daily use since April 24th.

Captain Eric Buxton said: On Monday, at 8.20 a.m., I was looking at the aeroplane. After a steeply banked left turn, I saw the machine commence another left-hand turn at a height of 350 ft. The turn developed into a nose-dive, and the machine spinning, with the engine full on, hit the ground. I immediately ran towards the spot, 600 yards from where I had been standing, and was the second to arrive on the scene of the accident. I at once saw that the pilot was killed, and attempted to release the pupil. After seven or eight minutes, we succeeded in getting the pupil out. An ambulance then arrived, and the deceased and the wounded man were removed. The first turn was very steep, almost ninety degrees. He then got back to the level position and commenced to climb slightly. He then commenced the second turn towards the left, and banked at almost as steep an angle as the first one. I can not imagine that the deceased would have done a "stunt" turn like this to instruct a pupil.

By the foreman. The rising would decrease the speed, but before doing the last turn the deceased put the nose of the machine down.

Second Lieut. R. S. Twigg, R.F.C., said; I watched the machine descending from 800 ft., with the engine throttled down, in a left-hand spiral, in quite a safe attitude. On coming out of the first left-hand spiral the machine at once commenced to turn to the right without sufficient bank, and too flat an angle, which caused the machine to fall to earth in a spinning nose-dive.

The Coroner pointed out that the evidence of the two officers did not agree; and witness said that that was so. His view was that the accident was caused by turning without banking or sufficient forward speed, due to the nose of the machine being kept up. It was a dual control machine. Witness should say, from the way the spiral was carried out, that Captain Tailford was in charge of the machine.

The first witness, re-called, said that Lieut, Hughes was recovering, but he had lost all memory within an hour of the accident. Witness had examined the machine. It was sufficiently intact to make sure that nothing had gone wrong in the air. He did not think the evidence of the two officers antagonistic. When a machine was doing  evolutions, even flying officers gave different accounts of what occurred. A steep right-hand turn looked like a left-hand loop. No doubt both officers were stating accurately what they thought they saw, but one of them was wrong. The engine was of a type that when running at half-power would sound to one not acquainted as if running at full speed. But that had no effect on the accident. His own view was that the accident was finally due to the machine losing its necessary amount of forward speed, together with an insufficient amount of bank. Captain Tailford was an exceptionally skilful pilot, and witness did not think it likely that he made an error of judgment. That was a matter of opinion, but a very slight error of judgment was made.

Captain Pimm said that death was due to fracture of the neck, and was instantaneous. The base of the skull was also fractured. The Coroner said that the only question was whether the machine was a fit one to use, and all the evidence was to the effect that it was. The deceased was a very distinguished officer before taking up flying, and there could be no work requiring greater nerve than that which the deceased was engaged on when he met his death. A verdict of death from misadventure was returned.
"You know, if you don’t read history, you’re a bloody idiot." - James Clavell

Online alkhamhills

• Prolific Contributor
Re: Captain John Tailford MC
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 21:00:36 pm »
UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919
about John Wilson Tailford
Name:   John Wilson Tailford
Death Date:   22 May 1917
Regiment:   Border Regiment
Battalion:   Battalion Not Shown
Decoration:   MC