South-East History Boards
May 24, 2017, 12:53:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Government Pipeline & Storage System (G.P.S.S.)  (Read 9151 times)
Tim of Aclea
Valued Contributor

« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2015, 07:32:20 AM »

I wonder how long it is going to take to change all the markers to CLH-PS?

Tim
cliveh
Valued Contributor

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2015, 15:42:27 PM »

Looks like GPSS gets a mention this evening in 'Britain Beneath Your Feet' on BBC2 at 7.30:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b061v75n

cliveh

Longpockets
Valued Contributor

Opportunities always look bigger going than coming

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2016, 21:26:39 PM »

I am sure T of A is aware of this one, I spotted it today on my way home waiting to do a U turn on the Northbound A23 after leaving Redhill.

It is at the side of the Northbound carriageway of the A23 opposite Dean Lane Merstham. It is visible on Google Street view.

By the time you make ends meet, the've moved the ends.
Tim of Aclea
Valued Contributor

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2016, 16:45:58 PM »

Thank you Longpockets.  Yes I am aware of it, it is on the Thames to Grain (now Grain to Thames) pipeline.  During an inspection of the route of the pipeline and the general state of pipeline markers I remember a colleague of mine and being on the other side of the road and trying and failing to cross the A23 to have a look at the markers.  The pipeline near there was diverted in the 1960s to allow for the M23 to continue on northwards but the M23 was never extended.

regards

Tim
Longpockets
Valued Contributor

Opportunities always look bigger going than coming

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2016, 19:12:27 PM »

I am not surprised you failed on foot, it is bad enough trying to cross the traffic flow in car let alone on foot.

By the time you make ends meet, the've moved the ends.
Tim of Aclea
Valued Contributor

« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2017, 14:02:49 PM »

I was looking at the wiki entry for the GPSS now the CLH-PS.  It has been updated but I do not know where the author got their information from but it is completely wrong.

'Pre-WW2 planning
As part of the planning and preparations for World War II, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) realised that the ability to distribute aviation fuel to the RAF's aircraft and petrol to its ground support vehicles was essential to sustaining any battle, in which superiority would be gained mainly in the air. In 1936, authorisation was given to build a top secret pipeline between the two major west-coast oil importation ports, the Port of Liverpool and its Stanlow Refinery, to Avonmouth Docks near Bristol. Completed and operational from 1938, it ran directly between the two ports to allow existing road and railway-based distribution facilities to operate, irrespective of the port in which the oil or fuel was landed.'

No source is given for this information. 

No pipelines were built before the war and the North South Pipeline was not the first pipeline to be built but the second after the Avon Thames Pipeline and work on it started in November 1941 and was completed in June 1942.  I would also note that the MoD did not exist before the war. 

Once I get a published copy of my book in my hands I do intend to go in and correct the entries for both the GPSS and for PLUTO.

Tim
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: