South-East History Boards
May 22, 2018, 09:23:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipwright 3rd Class John Rushton, suicide  (Read 457 times)
John
Editor

« on: September 01, 2013, 13:07:52 PM »

RUSHTON, JOHN HENRY FREDERICK
Service No:C/MX 58485
Date of Death:03/08/1947
Regiment/Service:Royal Navy H.M.S. Cochrane.
Grave Reference Naval Reservation. Grave 430.
Cemetery GILLINGHAM (WOODLANDS) CEMETERY, KENT
Additional Information: Son of Robert Grayson Rushton and Minnie Eva May Rushton, of Gillingham.

Gloucester Citizen - Monday 04 August 1947

P.O. Found Shot.

Chief Shipwright John Henry Frederick Rushton (24) of H.M.S. Cochrane whose home port is Rosyth, died in a Chatham hospital to-day from gunshot wounds. He was found gravely injured at an address in Lower-road, Gillingham, last night. A gun lay near him.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Rushton.JPG

I voted to leave the European Union..
John
Editor

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 07:36:42 AM »

Daily Mirror - Thursday 07 August 1947

'Remember I love' - shot beside child

After telling a young woman how much he loved her, John Henry Frederick Rushton, 25, chief shipwright in the Navy, shot himself.

At the inquest yesterday Jane Catherine Walker, who lived at Hastings Cottages, Lower-road, Gillingham, said that while she was combing her hair in her bedroom Rushton smiled at her and said: "Jane, remember how much I love and have always loved you."

She left him resting on the bed, beside their baby girl, and a few minutes later found him dead, with a revolver in his hand

It was stated that Rushton was separated from his wife, whom he hoped to divorce, and letters written in purple ink and signed by another woman were also found on him. This pointed to the fact, said the coroner, that he seemed to have had an association with another woman as well.

Verdict: Suicide while the balance of his mind was disturbed.

I voted to leave the European Union..
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 09:39:18 AM »

John Henry Frederick Rushton

In 1939 John(19.5.1923) with parents Robert G(1901), Minnie E M(1901) at 8 Belmont Rd, Gillingham.
John was a Naval Shipwright Apprentice. Father was a Butcher Shopkeeper.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: