South-East History Boards
March 26, 2017, 08:29:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: V1 explosion, Portsmouth, 15th July 1944  (Read 2026 times)
John
Editor

« on: October 28, 2013, 18:05:27 PM »

A V1 Flying Bomb hit the Stamshaw area of Portsmouth on the 15th July 1944 causing heavy to moderate damage to 185 properties, and when the minor damage such as broken glass etc is taken into account the total rises to approximately 2,000. The exact point of impact is given as 10 ft to the rear of No.89 Newcomen Road. I have no idea of casualties but I presume that they were heavy - I will post a few photographs showing the devastation, which includes the total destruction of some air raid shelters.

The picture below was taken a month after the incident, a panorama showing damage to Winstanley Road and Newcomen Road.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Portsmouth V1 strike (2).JPG

I voted to leave the European Union..
John
Editor

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 16:52:52 PM »

Bird's eye view from the roof of the flats in Newcomen Road, 60 yards from the point of explosion.

Portsmouth V1 strike (3).JPG

Pete
Valued Contributor

We Wunt Be Druv

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 17:11:36 PM »

13 Civilian War Dead listed for Portsmouth 15th none on 16th
I can also remember visiting a pub at Portchester in the 1980s, the pub was a standard 1960s Whitbread design but with an older cellar, I mentioned this to either the fitter I was with or the manager and was told the original was a V1 hit. John anything on that?

Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th
John
Editor

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 17:13:23 PM »

Nothing on any other V1 strikes at the moment Pete, but I will keep my eyes open as I try to clear my backlog of files.

John
Editor

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 11:08:40 AM »

South side of Winstanley Road showing No.s 103 to 123.

Portsmouth V1 strike (1).JPG

John
Editor

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 16:46:02 PM »

South side of Winstanley Road, showing No.s 87 to 99.

Portsmouth V1 strike (4).JPG

John
Editor

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 06:35:19 AM »

An overview of the devastation..

Portsmouth V1 strike (8).JPG

John
Editor

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 19:32:05 PM »

Photographs showing the complete destruction of two surface air raid shelters and damage to a third..

Portsmouth V1 strike (11).JPG

BartDeco
Newcomer

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 17:11:41 PM »

I've just located this site and thread via Google. My father lost his parents and two brothers in this attack. I've never seen the photos shown in this thread  which clearly show the massive devastation. I understand the explosion occurred just after midnight. I had little information about this attack - my dad found it difficult to talk about. - but I'll attach a brief reference found in a local paper that was sent to me.

Newspaper cutting.jpg
John
Editor

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 17:24:39 PM »

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for adding the cutting. As this is obviously of family interest to you I've had another look at my files to see if there is anything else I can add - it seems I've already put up all the photo's, but there is this Raid Summary that accompanies them.

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Portsmouth V1 strike (5).JPG
Portsmouth V1 strike (6).JPG

BartDeco
Newcomer

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 20:55:03 PM »

Thanks.
Icare9
Valued Contributor

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 00:12:43 AM »

If it's of some small consolation, even 70 years on, with the V1 landing 10 feet away from the rear of No 89, they were so close to the impact zone that they clearly could not have survived.

Even had they gone to a nearby shelter, they were destroyed too.
Your family were even spread over two houses and even that didn't save them.

It's not until you see the huge area of devastation that you understand what one ton of explosives could do.
Yet in other instances, damage seems to have been far less. I guess it's just the vagaries of war.
Just be thankful that the Allies had already landed and that gradually the launch sites were over run.
Had D Day been a month later, then all the South Coast packed with troops and equipment would have been totally in the firing line.
colin
Newcomer

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 20:40:45 PM »

just found this site and I find the pictures very interesting... my grandmother lived at 111 Winstanley Rd and could not sleep that night, she was in the back bedroom talking to my mum (a teenager at the time) when the bomb hit... they escaped injury but had to find elsewhere to live.
Bodneyblue
Newcomer

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 10:14:46 AM »

Hi All,

I too have just discovered this page and I do know of the said incident as the wife of my Grt Uncle (Walter Johnson), Lillian, was killed in this explosion.

Lillian Lottie Johnson was killed by a bomb blast at 1 a.m. on the 15 July 1944. Her body was found in Newcomen Road and was taken to the mortuary in Edgeware Road at 3.23 a.m. She was 68 years of age and living with Walter at 94 Winstanley Road, Portsmouth. The only personal thing salvaged was her wedding ring. The V-1 was the last bomb to fall on Portsmouth in WW2.
  My Grt Uncle Walter suffered such a severe head wound that he spent the remainder of his life as a mental patient at St.Mary's hospital, dying in 1953. Whether Walter knew, or understood his wife had been killed, I do not know. I believe Walter was said to have been found in a shelter. I assume in their garden?

The V-1 was said to be heading for the naval base on Whale Island and that the AAA guns on the Island shot it down and it crashed into the street killing 15 people and injuring many more.

I too have never seen the photos posted here...only the one from the pamphlet. These show so much more of the destructive power of the V-1.  

The below photo was printed in a pamphlet called "SMITTEN CITY" with went out with the local paper "The News". ..The other Is Lillian. Taken from the wedding photo of her son Wallace. The family ran the butchers shop in Twyford Avenue show in the photo.

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
36788_1533959596471_2788623_n.jpg
37183_1594564831564_679089_n.jpg
7684b975-781f-4a35-9b85-5481ac9693fd.jpg
John
Editor

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 14:25:19 PM »

Welcome along, and thanks for the additional information and pictures!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: