South-East History Boards
March 24, 2017, 16:06:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Childhood memories of special shops  (Read 3115 times)
pomme homme
Valued Contributor

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 16:05:53 PM »

.....and further south on the east side if the High Street, Crawley, was Penfolds, the seed merchants. In addition to seed it sold garden tools and small pets (including, I think, rats - at which my mother drew the line, when I suggested a visit there to upgrade from my pet mice!). It probably sold other things - but the foregoing are all I can now remember. But my strongest memory of the shop was that, even in the late sixties and early seventies, to walk through its door was akin to entering a time warp, for it seemed to appear as one might have expected it to be generations earlier. The style of its interior and its ambience were, in my memory, closer to that of a working flour mill. I've sought photographs of the interior of the shop, to ascertain whether my memory is correct, but I've found none. Have others succeeded where I've failed?
pomme homme
Valued Contributor

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 16:46:00 PM »

Penfolds, High Street, Crawley. The proprietors were John Penfold senior and junior, from a well known Quaker family and benefactors to the town of Crawley.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
iCCC-HighSt29.jpg
Tim Sargeant
Contributor

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2017, 18:26:45 PM »

Just picked up om this thread. As a Brighton boy it was Jack Ball's in Edward Street and Barnards in St George's Road. In Jack Ball's secondhand shop you could buy anything from Ex-Govt bits and pieces to a set of bike handlebars or an old wireless set.
I bought a fourteen valver there once but never go it to work! Many shillings was spent in there.
Barnards was primarily a radio shop but was also the local agent for Trix Twin Railways and I used to buy bits for my Trix train set there. I also joined the Trix Club and got a magazine several times a year with lots of shunting puzzles and Trix news in it.
I always wanted the double ended railcar but at about £4/19/6d it was more than my meagre budget. I think they also sold Hornby Dublo and other models and things like violin strings etc.
I remember the crowds outside on Coronation Day 1953 watching it on the television sets in the window. Reception wasn't very good in Brighton then because of the Downs although I think the Truleigh Hill booster had opened earlier in the year.
Also the junk shops in the Lanes where I bought my first organ in 1955, a Karn American Organ for the princely sum of £2/10/0.
Unfortunately as remarked elsewhere shops like that don't exist any more, I suppose killed off firstly by boot sales and now by the 'net.
I bought a radio controlled motor boat for my son in a model shop in Horsham, still got it in the loft waiting for the grandchildren!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: