Serjeant Thomas Condron

(1/1)

John:
CONDRON, THOMAS ARTHUR
Service No:15901
Date of Death:05/02/1918
Regiment/Service:Royal Flying Corps 199th (Night Training) Sqdn.
Grave Reference AF. 2089.
Cemetery ALDERSHOT MILITARY CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of Andrew Arthur Condron, of South Farnborough, Hants.

Hull Daily Mail - Friday 08 February 1918

AIRMAN KILLED IN LINCOLNSHIRE.
A fatal accident occurred to a young airman in Lincolnshire on Tuesday. He had just passed over one of the villages at a high altitude, and appeared to be making a good flight under ideal conditions. He then commenced to come down, and when within 100 ft, or less of the ground the biplane appeared to suddenly tilt sideways and crash to earth. A farm foreman, followed by another farm hand, found the unfortunate airman with the engine on top of him. His injuries were serious, and he passed away in a few minutes without regaining consciousness. At the inquest it transpired that the deceased was a second-class mechanic, named T. Condron, of South Farnborough, Hants, and 19 years of age. The jury returned a verdict of Accidental death, and complimented the man Hird upon his praiseworthy conduct.

John:
Aldershot Military Gazette - Friday 15 February 1918

FARNBOROUCH AIRMAN'S DEATH AND FUNERAL.
The funeral of Sergeant Thomas Arthur Condron, 19, son of Mr. and Mrs Condron, of Queen's Road, Farnborough, took place at the Military Cemetery on Saturday last with full military honours, the bands of the R.F.C. and A.S.C. attending. Intimate companions of the deceased from Brooklands, Weybridge, acted as pall-bearers.

The young airman met his death at Blyton, near Gainsborough, on Tuesday, 5th inst., whilst on his qualifying flight for his pilot's certificate. He was well known and respected in Farnborough, being a server at St. Mark's Church and a member of the Club, joining up in November, 1916. He was a very keen pupil, untiring in his work, promising and fearless and never failing to obtain an excellent report from his flight commanders.

A TRIBUTE FROM HIS CAPTAIN.
The following is one of the many letters received by deceased's parents, and shows the high appreciation and esteem in which he was held:-

61 Gordon Mansions,
Francis Street, W.C.1,
7th Fb., 1918.

Dear Mrs. Condron - It was with very great regret that I learnt to-day of your son's fatal accident, and wish to express to you and your family my sincerest sympathy in your trouble.

Your son was in my Flight. He was a very keen pupil and took a delight in doing whatever duty he was detailed for - he was always asking to go up, and his one aim was to get his wings as soon as possible. He was always a cheery youngster - it did one a lot of good to see his bright face, when feeling blue. I only wish I could have men like him around me always. I was very interested in him, and I am sure he would have turned out an excellent pilot.

Had I been able, I should have liked to attend his funeral to-morrow, but unfortunately it is not possible; but I will be with you in spirit.

Again assuring you of my sincerest sympathy. - I remain, sincerely yours,

F. E. SARGOOD, Capt.

alkhamhills:
Thomas Arthur Condron

Soldiers Effects:- Shows Rank as 2nd A M. Died Gainsborough*. £1.19.3 & £8.15 to Mrs Jane E(who was she?)

*Blyton.

Nothing else found

Navigation

[0] Message Index