South-East History Boards
May 27, 2017, 07:15:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eyecatching local headstones & epitaphs  (Read 6750 times)
John
Editor

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2016, 18:09:47 PM »

So true..

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Spain, Whitstable Cemetery.jpg

I voted to leave the European Union..
John
Editor

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2016, 09:38:51 AM »

Definitely eye-catching due to the various ages recorded on this grave in Surbiton (I'm assuming these five ladies are not all buried in this one plot though!)

Grave at Surbiton.JPG

Monkton Malc
Valued Contributor

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2016, 22:22:26 PM »

Definitely eye-catching due to the various ages recorded on this grave in Surbiton (I'm assuming these five ladies are not all buried in this one plot though!)

If some have been cremated it's not unheard of to inter ashes at various points in a "full" grave. We used to mark in the book where they were put ie: headstone left/right.
Monkton Malc
Valued Contributor

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2016, 22:46:21 PM »

One example at Minster in Thanet cemetery..

minstercem.jpg
Craggs

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2016, 08:35:32 AM »

This cross on a plinth stands in the church graveyard of St. Laurence Church, Hawkhurst, Kent.  

It is just inside the entrance gates which can be seen in photographs that John has posted in  "The Parish Church of St Laurence, Hawkhurst" and although it looks like a war memorial it is actually a memorial for those buried in the churchyard but have no known grave.

The inscription is fading but is still legible and reads :

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
IN PIOUS MEMORY AF ALL THOSE WHOSE RESTING
  PLACES IN THE CHURCHYARD ARE UNRECORDED

hawkhurst.jpg
Craggs

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2016, 08:12:16 AM »

In the Churchyard of The Church of Saint James The Great, Ewehurst Green, East Sussex.

This headstone is quite 'eye catching' - I'm posting it because of its size.  It is solid granite and stands best part of 9 feet tall.  My picture doesn't do it true justice - I should have placed something next to it to give an idea of scale - but it is quite massive !  Ewehurst Green overlooks the valley where Bodiam Castle sits so next time I'm over there with my Grandchildren I'll get a picture with something to show scale.

Kent & Sussex Courier - Friday 09 July 1926

CROWBOROUGH

THE LATE MRS. HAMILTON - We regret to record the death on Saturday of Mrs. Florence Hamilton, wife of Colonel Hamilton of "The Cressett".  The deceased lady's health has been failing for some time, and some months ago at Torquay she had a serious illness from which she never fully recovered.  She was well known and highly respected in Crowborough, where her many quiet and un ostentatious acts of kindness had endeared her to all with whom she came into contact.  Unfortunately her health had precluded her from activities in connection with many local organisations with which she was interested.  Colonel J. W. Hamilton is also well known in the district, and is President of the Crowborough Conservative Association.  Besides the bereaved husband, a son and daughter are left to mourn their great loss.  The funeral took place at Ewehurst on Tuesday.

The inscription reads :

In Loving Memory of Florence Elizabeth Hamilton, wife of John W Hamilton of Port-Glasgow. Born 6th September 1873. Died 3rd July 1926.

ham.jpg
John
Editor

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »

This one definitely caught my eye - very touching.

149.JPG

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: