South-East History Boards
May 24, 2018, 12:57:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The murder of Joan Wolfe, Thursley, 1942  (Read 2535 times)
John
Editor

« on: July 03, 2014, 16:26:11 PM »

Kent & Sussex Courier - Friday 23 October 1942

GIRL FOUND BURIED.

Identified as 19-Year-old Tunbridge Wells Blonde.

The girl found buried on Thursley Common, near Godalmlng, Surrey, just over a fortnight ago, has been identified as Joan Pearl Wolfe, the 19 years old daughter of Mrs Watts, of 72, Goods Station-road, Tunbridge Wells. The girl’s body was discovered during some Army manoeuvres. A mechanised vehicle threw up some earth at the edge of the woods and exposed a human arm. The body was later taken to the mortuary at Guy’s Hospital, London, where, during last week end, eminent pathologists were endeavouring to establish the cause of death.

The girl had a roaming disposition, and on more than one occasion had been reported to the police as being missing. The last time she was stated to have been missing was early in the year, but she returned to Tunbridge Wells, and later left the neighbourhood. It was in August that her mother heard that she was in Guildford hospital. The police knew that the girl had slept in ditches and hedges. In the woods around Godalming she had lived at different times in two Indian wigwams. It is stated that a Red Indian acquaintance of the girl has admitted that he made one of the wigwams, and that until the fact was discovered by the military police he had lived in it for a time with the girl.

I voted to leave the European Union..
John
Editor

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 16:34:52 PM »

I don't have the full details of this case, but at the moment all of the information that I have shows that Joan Wolfe was actually living in the cricket pavilion at Thursley, pretending to be married to the Canadian soldier who was later charged with her murder. Here are a couple of photographs; the first shows the pavilion, while the second shows scrawls on the wall from the couple themselves.. where the name appears to be spelled 'Sangart'.

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Sangret graffiti.jpg
Sangret pavillion.jpg

John
Editor

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 17:14:23 PM »

Gloucester Citizen - Tuesday 02 March 1943

KNIFE WAS NOT HIS.

Soldier's Denials In Murder Charge.

August Sangret, the 29-years-old Canadian soldier, continued his evidence at Surrey Assizes, where he has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Joan Pearl Wolfe, the 19-years-old "Wigwam" girl, at Hankley Common, Thursley, Surrey, last September. Sangret started his evidence on Friday, when he spoke of his association with Wolfe from the time he met her in Godalming in July, until September. During that time he had built two shacks for them to live in, and then they moved to Thursley Cricket Pavilion where they stayed from September 4 to September 13. Sangret said he took her food from a Naafi canteen each night. During that period they had talked of getting married.

Mr. Linton Thorp, K.C. defending: Did you want to get married to Joan?

Sangret: Yes I did. She had to get word from her mother first and I had to get permission from the Canadian Government.

Mr. Thorp: Did you at any time refuse to marry Joan? -

No. He and Wolfe stayed together on the night of September 13 and next morning he returned to camp. He arranged to meet her again that night.

Mr. Thorp: From that day to this have you ever seen Joan again?—

No Sir, never.

Sangret said that that night, (September 14) he went out with another soldier and called at the pavilion to see Joan but she was not there. He stayed for one and a half hours. Shown a black-handled knife alleged to have been found in a guard room wash house drain and to have been of the kind which could have inflicted the injuries on the girl’s skull, Sangret said that it did not belong to him and that the first time he saw it was at Guildford Police Court. (Proceeding).

Shower corridor.JPG
knife.JPG

alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 19:49:53 PM »

A couple of details which should not affect story as told by John

August Sangret
Born 1913 Battleford, Saskatchewan, Canada
Believe married to Dillia Hanson. Son Michael Rodney born 1941.
John
Editor

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 09:23:39 AM »

More photographs of writing and artwork found on the walls of the pavilion.

Scribbles (1).JPG
Scribbles (2).JPG

John
Editor

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 10:29:47 AM »

A witness statement from an American-Canadian soldier who had met both parties at Thursley..

659.JPG
660.JPG

John
Editor

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 17:38:30 PM »

Evening Telegraph - Tuesday 02 March 1943

Soldier To Die For Murder Of 'Wigwam Girl'

August Sangret, 29-year-old Canadian soldier was at Surrey Assizes to-day found guilty of the murder, last September, of Joan Pearl Wolfe (19), the "wigwam girl." Mr Justice Macnaghten told Sangret, "The jury have found that it was you who murdered Joan Wolfe, and none who heard the evidence can doubt the justice of their verdict." The Judge then passed sentence of death. The jury were absent for two hours and accompanied their verdict with a strong recommendation to mercy.

Asked if he had anything to say why sentence of death should not be passed on him, Sangret said, "I am not guilty, sir. I never killed that girl."

The girl's body, partialy buried, was found on October 7. This was the fifth day of the trial and the Judge, summing up, told the jury a verdict of manslaughter was not possible. According to Sangret's statement said the Judge, he (Sangret) stayed with the girl for some nights at Thursley cricket pavilion until Monday evening, September 14, when he went back there and was unable to find her. The jury might take it as fairly well established that the murder took place somewhere between noon on Sunday September 13, and the evening of Monday September 14. There was no direct evidence against Sangret, the evidence was circumstantial. The Judge described as "most unfortunate" the throwing away by a police sergeant of a rusty Service knife which he found when making a search of the area where the body was found, but he did not think that the knife had the importance which the defence attached to it. A critical fact was that the finding of a black-handled knife in the drain of a guardroom washhouse and alleged to have been given to Sangret. That knife had a curiously curved blade. Sangret had denied that that knife had been handed to him.

"If you are satisfied that the knife handed to Sangret was the same knife as the one found in the drain then you may think it was Sangret who put the knife in the drain."

When the jury retired they took with them the girl's skull and the black-handled knife.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Skull.JPG

John
Editor

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 17:12:46 PM »

651.JPG

Man of Kent1
Valued Contributor

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 08:36:24 AM »

This murder featured recently in a BBC2 programme on forensic science, presented by surgeon, Gabriel Weston.
Here are some more photos:

1) The victim - Joan Pearl Wolfe
2) Joan's body as discovered
3) Pte. August Sangret, Joan's killer

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
'Wigwam Murder' - Pte. August Sangret - Joan's Killer.jpg
'Wigwam Murder' - Joan Pearl Wolfe - Victim (1).jpg
'Wigwam Murder' - Joan Pearl Wolfe's Body In Situ.jpg
John
Editor

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 18:26:41 PM »

Thursley Cricket Ground, October 1942.

654.JPG

John
Editor

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 08:18:06 AM »

Surrey Advertiser - Saturday 01 May 1943

August Sangret, 29-years-old French-Indian soldier, was hanged at Wandsworth Prison on Thursday for the murder of Joan Pearl Wolfe, aged 19.

kate
Contributor

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 09:19:16 AM »

If the ages of Joan and her mother are correct, then the mother gave birth age 53? Not impossible, but improbable.
John
Editor

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 13:23:25 PM »

Methinks you misread it, Kate. The "72" refers to the address, not the age!

kate
Contributor

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 18:03:12 PM »

Duh! Grin
What can you expect from someone who spent an hour here looking for Grandad's 'war grave' until my brother pointed out that he was alive and well, and giving us pocket money during the 1960's...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: