South-East History Boards
June 29, 2017, 15:38:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Copying work & acknowledging sources..  (Read 10635 times)
John
Editor

« on: December 27, 2014, 16:31:05 PM »

Could I ask everyone to be a bit more careful about how they source their information and reproduce it on here please? If large chunks of text are taken from other websites, it would be nice if a link to the original article is included, or at the very least a mention of the author. I'm happy that people are spending time sourcing new topics, but having battled with other people who have lifted some of my original work on the Dover gun batteries and reproduced it as their own, it can leave me high and dry when I'm approached by someone regarding having their work appear on this forum without acknowledgement.

Wiki articles are acceptable if you are unable to cobble together some details,  but please ensure that it's made clear that is where the information came from. I often use Wiki myself, especially if it's an article that I've already edited for them, but when I do then I try to remember to mention where the information came from.

Photographs can be a tricky issue too - I'm more than happy for scans of old postcards to appear, or copies of old photo's that you have obtained from sources other than the internet. And, of course, your own photographs taken in the course of your travels. But I would appreciate it if other people's photo's, on other websites, are left alone - it's hard for me to define what is OK and what isn't, but generally it should be apparent what can be used.

Thanking you all, and wishing you a fantastic New Year  Smiley

I voted to leave the European Union..
John
Editor

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 17:44:46 PM »

Further to my above, can people now refrain from copying from Wiki totally, and ease off on posting links to other sites. Thank'ee.

John
Editor

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 16:49:51 PM »

A nudge..

John
Editor

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 08:22:38 AM »

A gentle nudge regarding using other people's photographs  Wink

Photographs can be a tricky issue too - I'm more than happy for scans of old postcards to appear, or copies of old photo's that you have obtained from sources other than the internet. And, of course, your own photographs taken in the course of your travels. But I would appreciate it if other people's photo's, on other websites, are left alone - it's hard for me to define what is OK and what isn't, but generally it should be apparent what can be used.

Craggs

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 10:08:24 AM »

RAF archive material..........

I like to go back over 'old posts' and see what happened if it isn't explained in the original post.  A great source of information for this is the 'RAF Commands" website and "Unaccounted Airmen" which is linked to the RAF Commands website.  I have been in email contact with the RAF Commands website managers and they are happy to let me quote from their research as long as I credit them with their work, which I do.  They have had a number of instances where other websites have used their research and claimed it as their own - those whole websites / Forums are now barred from using 'RAF Commands" website and "Unaccounted Airmen" - not just the individual person posting.  If you do use the 'RAF Commands" website and "Unaccounted Airmen" website then it is a big MUST to credit them with their work - as our whole Forum will be barred and that will deprive us of a brilliant source of information.

Thank you.  NC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: