South-East History Boards
June 23, 2017, 06:26:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The salutary tale of the Taylor Experimental  (Read 719 times)
Longpockets
Valued Contributor

Opportunities always look bigger going than coming

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 08:12:51 AM »

From the previous posts I assumed the aircraft did not crash on take off but after.

PH first post - "The effectively sparless and intentionally strutless wings of the Experimental failed soon after takeoff and the fuselage plunged to the ground, killing Mr Taylor."

John's post reply 9 - "Mr. Edgar Douglas Whiting, of Farleigh Road, Selsdon, chief engineer at Mr. Charles Gardner's private aerodrome at Kingswood Lane, Warlingham said that before Taylor crashed he had made a good take-off. He turned into the wind to land and the port wing folded up and the machine plunged to earth."

Could the aircraft have crashed off the airfield?

Could Richard Taylor have survived the crash and have been taken to the hospital in Harrow Road, where he died from his injuries.

Or am I missing something?

To clear things up I would think there would be reports of this incident, coroners hearing and maybe reference to the airfield/airfields (from 1933) in the Croydon Advertiser newspaper that covers the Warlingham area.

By the time you make ends meet, the've moved the ends.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: