South-East History Boards
June 23, 2017, 06:18:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mount Ellis, Dover (AKA West Mount, Westmount)  (Read 1526 times)
John
Editor

« on: March 01, 2015, 16:36:11 PM »

Dover Express - Friday 19 January 1906

Mount Ellis, as it was called, the large mansion now called West Mount, and used as Preparatory Branch of the Dover College, was built in 1865, for Mr. Joseph Joel Ellis, a Leicestershire colliery owner. The foundation stone was laid with great ceremony on the 12th of May, 1865, Mr. Rowland Rees, jun., being the architect, and Mr. Philip Stiff the builder. The stone was laid by Mrs. Ellis, Mr. Rees presenting her with a silver trowel supplied by Mr. John Bacon, King Street. Mr. Herbert Stiff spread the mortar, and the Rev. R. I. Cohen read a record of the proceedings written in Hebrew on a scroll, which was placed in a vase with current coins, and placed in a cavity of the stone. Mr. Ellis resided there but a short time, and afterwards it was occupied by Mr. Robert Chignell, who kept his school there between 1870, when he sold his establishment at St. Martin's Hill to the Dover College Company, and the opening of his new school on Castle Mount. West Mount was in 1877-8 occupied by Major-General Lord Russell when he was in command of the South Eastern District.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
Westmount March 2015.JPG

I voted to leave the European Union..
Monkton Malc
Valued Contributor

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 17:19:25 PM »

I wondered what that place was called.

Picture from when leaves were on the trees May last year.

003 Resized.JPG
John
Editor

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 16:31:50 PM »

Dover Express - Saturday 13 May 1865

The ceremony of laying the foundation stone of the mansion now erecting for Joseph Joel Ellis, Esq., took place on Thursday last. The stone bore an appropriate inscription. Mrs. Ellis having taken her position on a staging erected for the purpose, Mr. Rowland Rees, jun. (the architect), handed her a silver trowel (furnished from the establishment of Mr. Bacon, silversmith, King Street,) and said:

"Madam— It is my privilege and pleasing duty to hand you this trowel to perform the task of laying the foundation stone, and to beg your acceptance of it as a souvenir of the interesting ceremony."

Mr. Herbert Stiff (eldest son of the contractor) having placed the mortar in position, Mrs. Ellis in due form proceeded to spread it. This completed, the stone was lowered in its place under the direction of Mr. Philip Stiff, and, after the usual test of level broil and mallet, Mrs. Ellis declared the same well and truly laid. The Rev. R. I. Cohen having read both in Hebrew and English the scrolls recording the event, they were enclosed in a vase containing coins of the period which, being hermetically sealed, Mrs. Ellis deposited in the aperture prepared to receive it. The contractor's second son, Mr. Gilbert Stiff, then sealed the aperture with Portland cement and a stone cover, after which the Architect addressed the company as follows:

"Ladies and Gentlemen,- The interesting ceremony of laying the foundation stone being completed, permit me to express the hope that, in due course of time the building may be brought to a satisfactory and successful completion, and that it may then be for many years the happy abode of Mr. and Mrs. Ellis and their interesting family."

Mr. Ellis thereupon replied, stating his gratification at the good wishes just expressed, which he trusted would be realised. In due time the house would be completed and become his happy home, in which he might meet his friends and interchange those hospitalities and maintain those friendships which were so agreeable to him with the neighbours and friends amongst whom he would then reside, which was in accordance with the feelings of his heart. The friends and spectators appeared gratified at witnessing the ceremony.

John
Editor

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:30:12 AM »

Silent footage from a visit in March 2007 showing the semi-derelict building at Westmount, Dover. End of the clip shows the sealed entrance into the air-raid tunnel that linked up with the system at Winchelsea Quarry.

John
Editor

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 13:24:36 PM »

Wasted effort - the building undergoing renovation in October 2009..

040.JPG

John
Editor

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 15:14:34 PM »

Nothing left of the old place now..

Westmount site April 2017.JPG

Pages: [1]
  Print