South-East History Boards
May 24, 2018, 12:46:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sir Barnes Wallis - grave and headstone and a few bits you may not know  (Read 2353 times)
John
Editor

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 10:56:22 AM »

You're more dedicated than me, I gave up after a few minutes browsing the Pathé site. Plenty of footage, but no speech.

I voted to leave the European Union..
Weebouy
Valued Contributor

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 23:56:43 PM »

As was portrayed admirably in the film 'The Dambusters' by Michael Redgrave, after the event Barnes Wallis was mortified by the deaths of so many of the airmen on the raid.
He was subsequently awarded the sum of £10,000 for his war work from the Royal Commission on Awards to Inventors. His grief at the loss of so many airmen in the dams raid was such that Wallis donated the entire sum to Christ's Hospital School, Horsham in 1951 to allow them to set up the RAF Foundationers' Trust, allowing the children of RAF personnel killed or injured in action to attend the school.
Craggs

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 07:53:58 AM »

Thank you Weebouy, I didn't know that.

I've just read the Forum post on Christ's Hospital School, Horsham.   Wallis could possibly be one of the young boys in the photographs.

this is the link to that thread / post

Christ's Hospital, Horsham

thank you

NC
Craggs

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 08:59:40 AM »

There are a number of references within this topic which comment on the similarities between Michael Redgrave, who played Barnes Wallis in The Dambusters film, and the real life Sir Barnes Wallis.  The only piece we were missing was a comparison of the two gentlemen's voices.  As John says in Reply #11  

Do any interviews with the 'real' Barnes Wallis exist on film? I'd like to see how he comes across - it's unfair on him that, in my mind at least, he has been replaced by the actor - so that whenever I think of him I think of Redgrave!

That question was posed three years ago in March 2015 and now, here in March 2018, we do have a short clip of Sir Barnes Wallis talking.  This was part of a documentary on the design and development of Concorde shown on Channel 5.  My daughter recorded the documentary for me to watch when I was baby-sitting and I didn't know that he was on it - albeit for less than 30 seconds.  She managed to copy the clip and send it to me on an email.

If you think about the voice of Michael Redgrave in the film, which I consider to be quite softly spoken, then play the clip from the documentary.

There we have it  Smiley

Thank you to John for managing to manipulate and fiddle with this particular clip so that the Forum post would accept it.  I know from our emails that this one wasn't easy.  

Mulhuis
Newcomer

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 07:50:52 AM »

Had the enormous privilege of attending a lecture he gave in 1969 at Canterbury Technical College. He showed some test film of his planes like the one above and also about an engine for ships that would use sea water for fuel with the waste product being dry ice. He was fascinating and captivating to listen to and his enthusiasm was charismatic. He finished the lecture by stating if there are any members of the press here please quote me correctly "The government is an ass". I see his notes for this lecture are in the archives.
H65 1969 Feb -Nov
[Folder entitled] Lecture Canterbury
Technical College [containing] Strength
of England lecture and associated
correspondence.
15 leaves.
Man of Kent1
Valued Contributor

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 08:46:23 AM »

Wallis' voice may well have gone up in pitch the older he got but, nevertheless, it is the voice of a very determined man and not one to ignore for long!
You were very lucky, Mulhuis, to have heard him live at the CTC.  Are you from Canterbury?  You may well be surprised at how much the College has changed in recent years - I doubt if there is one building you knew which is still standing!
I attended the college in the early '80's and again in the late '80's on various computer courses and none of the buildings I knew are there now!
Mulhuis
Newcomer

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 16:49:34 PM »

Was from Margate then but now in Ramsgate. Yes in Canterbury a couple of times a year and yes the old college has demised. I was on C&G Radio and TV Servicing course for Rediffusion. Have been following the RAF Manston posts on Facebook detailing the events leading up to the bouncing bomb and all the tests at Reculver. Despite living here most of my life did not know about the statue in Herne Bay. Cannot believe that they want to build houses on our WW2 airfield at Manston with all it's rich history.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: