South-East History Boards
April 24, 2017, 23:50:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Welcome to the South-East History Boards, covering Kent, Sussex, Hants, IoW and Surrey

Home   Help Forum Guidelines Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jimmy Hill OBE. 1928 - 2015 - Football Legend.  (Read 330 times)
Craggs

« on: December 19, 2015, 17:18:11 PM »

Jimmy Hill OBE.   1928 - 1015

Jimmy Hill was the football commentator and voice that I will always associate with football - especially when I was allowed to stay up and watch "Match of The Day".   I was sad to learn about his death today.  

He had a number of connections to The South East and before he became unwell lived in Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex.

Jimmy was dedicated to football.  He loved the game.  I can remember him as a TV commentator but before then, beyond my recollection,  he was a professional footballer and also a qualified referee.

He was, and will always be, a proper and true 'role model'. He was a very nice man.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you cannot view or download
jimmyhill.jpg
Pete
Valued Contributor

We Wunt Be Druv

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 18:28:51 PM »

He was also fundamental in getting negotiable pay for players rather than the £20 a week maximum. Dad was a referee and we have a photo of JH and HuhHuh  tossing the coin and apparently the conversation was that dad got 7guineas & travelling for what they saw as one days work whereas they only got £20 for a week. I'll dig it out and post it

Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 20:34:56 PM »

The 1st game I saw in Division 1 back in 1960 was Fulham. Think Jimmy Hill at Centre half, with Johnny Haynes at Centre forward. Then I went to become a fervent fan of The Arsenal Smiley
Icare9
Valued Contributor

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 22:53:28 PM »

Never mind ah, you can't be brilliant at everything!

I heard a cat meowling today and looked out to see 4 Chelsea* footballers playing football with a cat.

I was about to phone the RSPCA when the cat went 1-0 up.....
(*other teams are available)
Pete
Valued Contributor

We Wunt Be Druv

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 08:58:15 AM »

Another of Jimmy's claim to fame was his name being used by kids for anything of dubious credibility. the comment would be met by the reply of "Jimmy Hill, chinny chin, itchy beard", followed by scratching the chin. Used in Kent and Sussex 1970s-80s

Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th
alkhamhills
Valued Contributor

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 09:16:14 AM »

There was an Arsenal/Liverpool Match 1972/73 season. Linesman was injured and a call went out for any qualified person. Jimmy responded and ran the line. Another of his achievements to be a qualified Referee

When at Fulham, his chairman was the well known Tommy Trinder
chuffer
Contributor

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 23:17:25 PM »

The 1st game I saw in Division 1 back in 1960 was Fulham. Think Jimmy Hill at Centre half, with Johnny Haynes at Centre forward. Then I went to become a fervent fan of The Arsenal Smiley

In the early 1960s when I used to watch Fulham one week and Chelsea the next, Bobby Keetch was centre half for Fulham with Jimmy hill one of the inside forwards and Haynes the other inside forward.  I cannot recall who was centre forward.  Other noteables in the Fulham side in those days were Alan Mullery, Tony Macedo and George Cohen.  Bobby Robson also played wing half for Fulham in those days.

The first Division 1 game I saw was in February 1958 when Arsenal were at home to Man Utd the week before the Munich air crash.  I was lucky enough to see most of the "Busby Babes" play that day, including Roger Byrne, Duncan Edwards, Tommy Taylor and Eddie Colman.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: