Author Topic: Southampton Wheelers  (Read 4874 times)

Offline SueinOz

• Contributor
Re: Southampton Wheelers
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 13:02:07 pm »
Hey that’s cool Mike.
I must get my act together - I have more photos like that!
Sue.

Offline Quiet Mike

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 10:02:00 am »
I was lucky enough to pick up a Southampton Wheelers embroidered patch last year. I'd never seen one before, so decided to get some pals to make a few copies. They've come out really well! The original was crudely backed with a peice of old greatcoat material.

I didn't like the idea of wearing the original, I don't want to wear a piece of cycling heritage out. I'll put the copy on my 1940's cycling jacket and wear it around town with pride!

I've only had a dozen made, and most have sold already to local cyclists and enthusuasts.

Offline Quiet Mike

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 10:03:44 am »
And another local Southampton cycling pal is the lucky owner of this gem!

Offline John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 07:05:42 am »
Drogheda Argus and Leinster Journal - Friday 02 July 2004

Cycling, poetry, passion of Ted's very full full life

The death has occurred peacefully in the Louth County Hospital of Mr. Francis Edward (Ted) Bull, Ardee, some 4 weeks after a special celebration of his 89th birthday. Originally from Shirley, Southampton, England, he retired to Killarney, Co. Kerry where he spent seventeen happy years before moving finally to Ardee to be near close friends.

Ted was an keen cyclist with a mighty endurance that echoed the way he lived his life. He was a man of great spirit and determination and thus an inspiration to all who knew him. He lived everyday to the full and his appreciation for life shone through his creativity as a poet, photographer and painter.

He carried his cameras with him at all times, capturing the beauty of his travels on his bike. He had an open unquestioning joy, realising the simple things in life. His kindness and warmth touched everyone who knew him. Ted was a natural conversationalist and had a thirst for knowledge especially nature, history and engineering. He liked nothing more than good company and shared conversation over a glass of homemade elderberry wine, for the fruits of his garden were another source of joy and wonderment to him.

Ted spent his early years as a welder \ fabricator and worked in England at Vickers Supermarine on the very first built Spitfire. He was a member of the Southampton Wheelers Cycling Club and won many races, touring England and Wales and then finally Ireland where be also worked for a number of years in Co. Cork in the fifties.

In the seventies he decided to uproot from England and live out his retirement years in Ireland, his peace haven.

Ted lived a happy and fulfilled life and met each day always with a smile, never complaining of his ailments, forever grateful to those who cared for him especially the medical team at the Louth County Hospital. Words could never express Ted's gratitude to them except to say that they did God's work and were in his eyes 'Angels'.

Ted is survived by his nephew, Peter, niece Mary, grandnieces and grandnephews, close friends Paul and Rachel as well as many friends and neighbours.

I don't recognise the name, but as a Wheeler, and having worked on the first Spitfire, I would assume this chap was a good friend of Jim Guard.
"You know, if you don’t read history, you’re a bloody idiot." - James Clavell

Offline SueinOz

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 11:33:25 am »
Hello again,
I've scanned some photos. Had to do a few whole pages as they're from two albums, one of Mum's and one of Dad's. I have tons more. I'll put the Wheelers ones here and you'll see the Jim Guard Shop ones on that page with an older photo of dad and Dick. So Cute! I have some of them even younger.
I have loads more photos. The Wheelers seemed to like going to The White Hart at Abergavenny so I have a few of those. And plenty of other cycling trips around England, Wales, and Austria. Photos mention these names: Vic Doe, Alfie, Ron Carey, Mills & Paul, jack, and I know some photos have Den Giles in them. A Club SQCC. And I have a few newspaper clippings. Some of Dad's results. Other names in those lists also of course. If anyone wants to see any of those people mentioned just let me know. I can post more photos another day. I have Mum cycling with me in a side car, whizzing over the finish line. We were there for Dad's race but it's funny!

So here are some Wheelers' photos. Most are dated or have a comment. Dad's album is the black bordered one. Mum's is white.  
And there's Dad racing on one of his Jim Guard bikes.
Looks like such happy days!

Sue.

Offline SueinOz

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 11:36:51 am »
Oops it spun my photo. It was correctly oriented but who knows why?

Offline John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2019, 12:07:47 pm »
I've rotated the photo and added it below  ;)

Offline John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2024, 05:22:34 am »
Was quite pleased to spot this in a display at SeaCity Museum, Southampton, on my last visit.